Managing large numbers of learners

Topics: User Forum
Jan 9, 2007 at 8:40 PM
Hi all,

I'm having trouble determining the best approach for managing large numbers of learners. Essentially, what I would like to do is:

1. Allow all learners to be able to take courses based on direct links. Use active director to track their names, etc.

2. Assign specific courses/curricula to students based upon groups. These groups will typically be comprised of 40 to 80 learners.

I'm having a hard time determining if 1. is possible, and I cannot find a way to assign the correct active directory groups (i.e. SharePoint sees many of the distribution groups, but not all--wierd) into a group I simply, and generically called: Learners. Once I do find an AD group to add in, I can only see 10 learners in the assign course page. Is there a setting to view more that I am missing?

Thanks,
Mike
Jan 12, 2007 at 7:01 PM
Regarding distribution groups, SharePoint doesn't support (to my knowledge) adding distribution groups to site membership. You need to use a security group. If you add a security group to sharepoint, and give that group Learner permissions, then the first time someone tries to assign to a site with that group, the group will be enumerated and a sharepoint member created for each member of the group. All of these members should appear on the assignment properties page as potential learners.

Regarding pre-assigning curriculum to large numbers of people based on roles, I know of one team that has customized SLK to do something like that. Maybe they're lurking and can provide some insight? Scott? Nick? :)
Jan 12, 2007 at 10:28 PM
Looks like I need to send an e-mail. :)

Thanks David.