SLK 1.3.1 RC1 has been posted

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Coordinator
Aug 26, 2008 at 1:45 AM
The changes between 1.3.1 Alpha and 1.3.1 RC1 are:

15685 Increment the version number to 1.3.1
18090 readme.txt has incorrect instructions on compiling code Closed Issue Medium Today at 1:01 PM
18091 Bug in reporting sample code versionning Closed Issue Low Today at 12:58 PM
18094 Use WebInvoke Method="HEAD" as a cleaner API for the Content Service Closed Issue Low Today at 12:12 PM
18097 COMException 0x80040E14 when calling AllRolesForCurrentUser

The last remaining task for 1.3.1 is to update the getting started guide with installation changes, this is gated on me finding a good way to convert GettingStarted.pdf back to Word so I can edit it (we lost the original :-( )

Please start validating that 1.3.1 RC1 is a viable release, thx.

- jcb
Aug 26, 2008 at 2:22 AM

Hi Jay,

Ran Upgradesolution, deleted the database, deleted temporary files, ran the configuration in Central Admin, deleted the web part from the web part gallery and installed the new one.

When I add the assignment list web part to a page I get an error with this error in the server event log:-

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Windows SharePoint Services 3
Event Category: None
Event ID: 0
Date:  8/25/2008
Time:  6:14:07 PM
User:  N/A
Computer: MVHVMSP01
Description:
SharePoint Learning Kit Error

System.Web.HttpException: Session state can only be used when enableSessionState is set to true, either in a configuration file or in the Page directive. Please also make sure that System.Web.SessionStateModule or a custom session state module is included in the <configuration>\<system.web>\<httpModules> section in the application configuration.
   at System.Web.UI.Page.get_Session()
   at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.ApplicationPages.AlwpQuerySummary.get_SlkStore()
   at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.ApplicationPages.AlwpQuerySummary.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Aug 26, 2008 at 3:32 AM

Ok, so I simply changed the line 
    <pages enableSessionState="false" enableViewState="true" enableViewStateMac="true" validateRequest="false" pageParserFilterType="Microsoft.SharePoint.ApplicationRuntime.SPPageParserFilter, Microsoft.SharePoint, Version=12.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c" asyncTimeout="7">

so that enableSessionstate was set to "true" in the C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories\80\web.config and restarted IIS. That fixed the above error.

Hopefully that won't have negative repurcusions elsewhere...

Cheers

Ron
Coordinator
Aug 26, 2008 at 5:01 AM
You've managed to walk directly through the issue that needs updating in the Getting Started Guide :-)

Yes, you need to manually edit web.config and set enableSessionState to true.  It's documented in the Microsoft Learning Gateway installation guide but not the SLK Getting Started Guide and now that we'll pulled a feature (observer role) back from MLG into SLK we need to add this additional setup step to SLK.
Oct 23, 2008 at 6:05 PM

I have tested this release canidate and have found no problems. I approve this version.

- Carsten

Oct 23, 2008 at 7:12 PM
We have been running this version for over a month in our test environment and have not found any issues. I approve this release.

-Todd
Nov 7, 2008 at 9:45 PM
Hi everyone,

I had the same problem and changed the enableSessionstate to true. after that the sharepoint site went down and displaying the Error page "An unexpected error has occurred." I'm running SharePoint Services 3.0 on Windows server 2003

Please Help!

Thanks,
Imane
Nov 7, 2008 at 9:54 PM
have not seen an error with that before.

If you change it back to "false" does it load as it did before. I suspect there might be a typo in your web.config.

Otherwise, do you logs say anything that might be more helpful?
Nov 7, 2008 at 10:07 PM
I set it back to false and it still won't work.

i found this error in the event log of the server

SQL Database 'SharePoint_Config' on SQL Server instance 'instancename' not found. Additional error information from SQL Server is included below.

Cannot open database "SharePoint_Config" requested by the login. The login failed.

Login failed for user 'servername\username'.

Also found this error

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID

{61738644-F196-11D0-9953-00C04FD919C1}

to the user NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE SID (S-1-5-20).  This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

Nov 7, 2008 at 10:33 PM
The second error is a common one, you can find a solution here: http://www.cleverworkarounds.com/2007/10/25/dcom-fun-with-sharepoint/. This is minor though and not cause the main problem you are seeing.

The first problem, is a major one. It seems that you SQL server is having problems or you changed something with the account settings. In any case, it is either a SharePoint or SQL issue, and not an SLK one. Are you able to load up your Central Administration site? I would check the health of the SQL server and make sure it has significant space on the proper drives.
Nov 8, 2008 at 2:45 AM
Sharepoint site is now woeking again which is great. and the second error message is fixed

the problem was caused by when I opened web.config and edited, somehow it got corrupted in one of the names of an assembly file. I found the error by turning CustomError off and set safeMode to true in the config file.

Now, I'll go back to configuring SLK.

Thank you so much for your help.

Imane
Nov 27, 2008 at 11:15 AM

Hi Jay,

I have recently installed the SLK 1.3.1 RC1 to specifically target the error listed:

18097 COMException 0x80040E14 when calling AllRolesForCurrentUser

however I am still getting the error on some accounts.

I've followed the instructions to Upgrade the exisiting SLK installation, checking to see that the latest sharepointlearningkit.wsp was sucessfully deployed.  I've created a new SLK database to incorportate the Observer role. I've removed and added the Assignment web part to our class sites, but the error is still present. 

Is it necessary to completely remove the SLK solution and then redeploy it? 
This is something I haven't yet tried.  We now have hundreds of course sites and wasn't sure what the effect of completely removing the solution would be. 

Any help/comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Gary

Dec 3, 2008 at 4:03 PM
 Quote roncresswell: so that enableSessionstate was set to "true" in the C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories\80\web.config and restarted IIS. That fixed the above error.

I implemented this change to web.config, but I am still receiving the same error message (System.Web.HttpException: Session state can only be used when enableSessionState is set to true, either in a configuration file or in the Page directive....)

I've changed the Page directive, are there other settings to consider?

Thanks

Thomas
Jan 26, 2009 at 6:42 PM
Thomas,

I would verify that the web.config for the proper collection is configured properly. I have seen the error before, but never had it stick around after setting EnableSessionState to "True". If the error is still there, it could be a number of things. I would re-install if that is possible.

Hope this helps...