SLK 1.3.1 RC and course manager

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Sep 1, 2008 at 11:18 AM
Iv installed the SLK 1.3.1 RC successfully but when it comes to the course manager it fails stating that we have the wrong version of slk installed.

Its looking for the alpha release which was required for the previous release of the course manager.

On the home page of it states that the course manager is for use with 1.3.1 RC release.

Could someone check and see if the right files have been uploaded.
Sep 1, 2008 at 3:06 PM
Same issue here but I posted to the Issues Tracker by mistake.  http://www.codeplex.com/SLK/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=18268

Andrew
Coordinator
Sep 2, 2008 at 6:19 PM
This sounds like a good bug.  1.3.1 Alpha had version number 1.3.0.2 and 1.3.1 RC has version number 1.3.1.0.  If the Course Manager setup is looking for 1.3.0.2, it's going to fail.

The source code for Course Manager has been posted to this site along with build instructions.  Would anyone care to make a patch fixing this bug and upload it?
Sep 3, 2008 at 5:44 PM
Jay,

The source code is not complete,  we are missing code for:

CourseManagerConfCs.dll  (this is the one that supports the admin pages and handles database creation,  I can change the .aspx to reference 1.3.1 but need to recompile the dll to work the same.  Getting File Not found errores.

SolutionsAndFeaturesTest.exe  - although this appeared to be written to support version checks from the command line version 1.3.0.2 is hardcoded.

Also can you supply you build script as, unlike the excellent NMAKE you have with SLK, you have to build all the components by hand and copy the files to the correct places and run makecab - this must have been scripted.

Andrew 
Coordinator
Sep 3, 2008 at 9:35 PM
I've sent email to see if we can get the developers who worked on Course Manager to address these issues.  I'll let you know what I find out.

On the build script, you should be able to call "msbuild Foo.sln" to get a command line build going.  Each csproj can have a "post build step" added to copy files and run makecab as well -- I've done this in many of my more complex projects.  In reading through the Build Guide, my suspicion is that these steps were never automated and were always done by hand.

On the topic of automating steps using msbuild scripts, there's an interesting article on using msbuild to create sharepoint wsp files here: http://www.andrewconnell.com/blog/articles/UsingVisualStudioAndMsBuildToCreateWssSolutions.aspx

- jcb
Coordinator
Sep 5, 2008 at 5:53 PM
I've received the missing source code and will be posting it in the next few days as time permits.
Sep 9, 2008 at 11:56 AM
Any news on when you will be posting the code?
Sep 9, 2008 at 3:19 PM
Jay, 

as an update to this I have been trying to work around the missing code issue and have scripted the db create and registry entry,  however I get a problem with the codebase compiled against 1.3.1.

In the Plan and Assign and Monitor web parts the Maingrids always show 'No Data Found' - I have been unable to trace the problem through the layers of code and factory classes.

Any help appricated,  am I missing a step in my scripts?

Andrew
Sep 29, 2008 at 1:22 PM
Is there some news? I would need to test the course manager for a project.

Greetings

Rookie
Dec 3, 2008 at 10:24 AM
Hi, is there any solution to install course manager in slk 1.3.1 RC?
Dec 12, 2008 at 3:34 AM
Hi - I am very interested in evaluating the Course Manager in conjunction with the CMI Tracking Service.  After spending the day fumbling around with trying to configure V1.3.1RC1 with the Course Manager...I finally came across this thread.  I currently have a version with V1.3.1 ALPHA configured with the Course Manager installed and apparently functional. I see the ALPHA version also has the CMI Tracking Service...any insight into whether changes were made to this service in RC1?  Does anyone have any insight (that can save me from wasting another day of my time) of whether the service from the RC1 install will work with the ALPHA version?  I could just use the ALPHA version...but I would like to leverage any bug fixes that may have been made.  Better yet posting a new V1.3.1RC2 with the appropriate fixes for the Course Manger to be appropriately installed would be much more favorable!  Thanks for any insight/reply.

Dan
Jan 23, 2009 at 9:19 PM
I've got the same issue.  The SLK announcements included:

• The SLK Course Manager is now available for 1.3.1 RC. Course Manager is an add-on that provides course planning, assignment tracking, and grade book.

However, the only course manager download is still the add-on pack that supports only the alpha.  Where is the one that supports the RC?

Cheers,
    --Stan

• Jan 23, 2009 at 9:19 PM
    Edited Jan 23, 2009 at 9:21 PM
    I didn't check for source code, BTW, just the installable bits. 

Cheers,
    --Stan

Jan 23, 2009 at 9:27 PM
    Having spent a lot of time looking at SLK Course Manager and pushing hard for deployment around the Sep 08 timeframe - I'm afraid I see this solution as now being defunct.

The functionality provided in the solution was pretty basic and didn't really achieve the levels we have anticipated.  Review here http://www.21apps.com/education/slk-course-manager-10-released/

Jan 26, 2009 at 6:23 PM
    For those looking for Course Manager 1.3.1 RC1 working with SLK 1.3.1 RC1, please read the following thread:

http://www.codeplex.com/SLK/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=38326