how to disable course download/open & save

Topics: User Forum
Jan 11, 2007 at 4:52 PM
Hi,

I'm using SLK as e-learning solution into WSS 3 beta.
I need to protect my e-learning courses. Using the document library as course repository, the student can download the course or save it on his computer. Is it possibile to customize sharepoint document library to achieve this result? How?

Thanks
Jan 11, 2007 at 7:37 PM
Allowing a student to execute a course without providing them the ability to download and save the course was a key scenario for SLK.

The way to do this is to not provide the student access to the document library, but do provide them SLKLearner permissions on another site. Then, the instructor assigns the content to the learner on the other site. The learner can then execute the content but will not have direct access to the document library to download the file.

If, on the other hand, you want students to be able to assign content to themselves and yet still do not allow them to download it, that is not currently supported in SLK. You'd need to either remove the default WSS behavior in document libraries or else write an application (a web part, perhaps) that lists the document library contents and only allows executing it. SLK does not support this scenario.