Assigning word documents issue

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Mar 26, 2012 at 1:15 PM

We have disabled client integration on our web applications, because it didn't work as expected. Now when someone tries do view document, he is asked to download it, which is expected behaviour. Unfortunately SLK doesnt work as expected.

When assigning eg. a word document to students, when student wants to star assignment, "Begin assignment" link directs to the doc file in DropBox. When he clicks it, "The document could not be opened for editing. A Microsoft SharePoint Foundation compatible application could not be found to edit the document." is displayed and he can't download this document (IE). However when assignment page is refreshed two times, link now enables to resume assignment and it calls JS function SlkOpenFramesetWindow , and browser prompts what to do with file.

What I'd like to see is when I start the assignment with word document, it doesn't try to open it in client application but download it. Both IE and FF browsers try to open file in office, but firefox throws some error and then it allows to download file normally (plugin crashes), but IE just shows error that document could not be opened for editing, and that's all.

The document could not be opened for editing. A Microsoft SharePoint Foundation compatible application could not be found to edit the document.is
Coordinator
Apr 4, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Hi,

How do you disable client integration in SharePoint. It's not something that I've come across before, so SLK doesn't currently support it.

Richard

SLK Coordinator

http://blog.salamandersoft.co.uk

Apr 4, 2012 at 9:51 PM

I disabled client integration on web-application scope, in web application settings page in central administration. When I'm accessing DropBox manually, when I click file, I'm asked to provide place on my disk - which is ok. But on assignment page, link directs to doc file in the DropBox and browser tries to open/edit in word - which is not ok.