Database Error: Cannot create SharePointLearningKit database

Topics: User Forum
Jan 15, 2007 at 8:20 PM
Hi,

I'm at the point of trying to create the SharePointLearningKit database in the SLK installation process, but I get the error message:

Login failed for user 'DOMAINNAME\COMPUTERNAME$'.

More information has been written to the server event log.

COMPUTER_NAME is the name of the server I'm trying to install SLK on (Windows 2003 Standard with WSS 3.0, Domain Administrator user account)

Our SQL 2005 server isn't using Windows Authentication.

So the question is, why is SLK trying to user a computer account (DOMAINNAME\COMPUTERNAME$) to create the database? And how can I get it to use a user account which I can pre-configure on our SQL server?

This is what is reported in the event log:

SharePoint Learning Kit Error

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Login failed for user 'DOMAINNAME\COMPUTERNAME$'.
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConnection(DbConnection owningObject)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open()
at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.SlkAdministration.CreateDatabase(String databaseServerConnectionString, String databaseName, String databaseConnectionString, String appPoolAccountName, Byte[] appPoolSid, String databaseSchema)
at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.SlkAdministration.<>c_DisplayClassb.<SaveConfiguration>b_4()
at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.SlkUtilities.ImpersonateAppPool(VoidDelegate del)
at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.SlkAdministration.SaveConfiguration(Guid spSiteGuid, String databaseServer, String databaseName, String schemaToCreateDatabase, String instructorPermission, String learnerPermission, Boolean createPermissions, String settingsFileContents, String defaultSettingsFileContents, String appPoolAccountName, ImpersonationBehavior createDatabaseImpersonationBehavior)
at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.AdminPages.ConfigurePage.BtnOk_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Regards,
Paul
Jan 15, 2007 at 10:00 PM
Hi Paul,

A DB connection string can be specified in the database server field during configuration. Therefore, in order to specify a sql user during configuration, you can specify the user in the connection string. A string like, "computername; user=sqlusername; password=sqluserpassword", in the Database Server field. Hope this helps.
Jan 16, 2007 at 3:04 PM
Thnaks Vandana, that was just what I was looking for - it worked a treat.

Regards,
Paul