Can I install SLK pointing to remote sql server 2005?

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Oct 2, 2008 at 3:04 PM
Hi,

I have SQL Server 2005 installed on a different machine as WSS3, can I install SLK pointing to this database? I was trying but I get this message error:

SharePoint Learning Kit Error. System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Cannot generate SSPI context.

I put the server name as the database server in the SLK configuration page but fails, then I put the IP with the same result.

TIA.

Oct 2, 2008 at 5:12 PM
This will work as long as both servers are members of the same domain. You will likely need to adjust permissions on the SQL server however to enable this to work.
Oct 2, 2008 at 8:04 PM
Yes, both servers are members of the same domain. Besides, I created a login DOMAIN\MACHINE with windows authentication and dbcreator role in sql server 2005 but I still get that same error. What else need to adjust?

Thanks for your reply jtodd
Oct 2, 2008 at 9:04 PM
Are you using the same sql server for your SharePoint databases? Are you using NTLM or Kerberos for your web apps?

I would first check that the short and fully qualified DNS names for the sql server resolve correctly on the WSS server.

Also this article may help you resolve the issue: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811889