Confirmation of working Course Manager / Tracking with 1.3.1RC ?

Topics: User Forum
Oct 23, 2008 at 11:09 AM
Dear All,

First post on here.  Can anyone confirm a working course manager in this latest version?  As a teacher I am more concerned with having tracking ability on set assignments but have been unable to get this function to work correctly. 

Any help will be gratefully received.

David

Dr David Wilson
Teacher of Science
Oct 23, 2008 at 1:57 PM
Im also looking for a working course manager it hasnt been updated since they posted it last, which stated it would work with the rc version, It would be nice to hear more regular feedback on whats going on with the slk and learning gateway, As far as my understanding goes this is backed by microsoft and so Im guessing funding is also by microsoft. whats going on,
Oct 29, 2008 at 4:15 PM
I am really struggling getting the Course Manager to work with Version 1.3.1 RC1. Using the directions and installation packages does not work for me. It does not recognize the latest version and stops right away. So i have manually deployed the solution through stsadm commands. Now i find my self halfway through. I can see the application through the web interface and can activate the course manager there. However, when i go to the central administration page, application management the course manager is not there to configure.  Thoughts?

Is there an updated installation for RC1?
Oct 30, 2008 at 12:09 AM

I can also confirm that the Course Manager RC 1 is not working with SLK 1.3.1 RC1. The reasoning is the following:

The Course Manager was built on the 1.3.0.2 assembly reference. It actually looks for assembly version 1.3.0.2 when the Installer.bat runs to check for "1.3.1". Since the update from Alpha to RC1, the SLK assembly version has changed from 1.3.0.2 to 1.3.1, which is causing the first pre-requisite to fail.   

My Efforts:
Inspired by bdeyak, I tried to install it manually and was able to get quite far. Activating the Site Feature on Central Administration makes the "Configure Course Manager" link appear. Once there, it fails, because the CourseManagerConfigure.aspx page has a reference to SLK assembly 1.3.0.2. Manually editing this (change 1.3.0.2 to 1.3.1.0) will allow the form to show up, but upon clicking on the OK button there is an error "File Not Found". After a few hours of research, I assume this is a problem in the codebehind for the file. Looking through the source code available through CodePlex, I was unable to find the source, just the compiled DLL for "CourseManagerConfCS".

After a while, I gave up and just put the 1.3.0.2 assembly (along with the 1.3.1 assembly) in the GAC. This allowed the Course Manager Configuration to complete successfully and I thought it was working. After checking the site, with the web parts (Plan & Assign and Monitor & Assess) the message "You are not an instructor on this site" appeared no matter if I set my login as instructor or not.

After a few more frustrating hours, I simply retracted and removed the 1.3.1 RC1 version and then installed (Add, Deploy solution) for 1.3.1 - Alpha, which interestingly enough has the 1.3.0.2 assembly version. I did not adjust anything else (e.g. Course Manager, SharePoint, etc..), just reconfigured the SLK to point to the previous database. It now works like a charm and I see no errors.

My Thoughts:
It appears that there is a problem with the Course Manager being bound to the following assemblies from SLK 1.3.1 - Alpha (which have been updated in the RC1 release):

- Microsoft.LearningComponents 1.3.0.2
- Microsoft.LearningComponents.Compression 1.3.0.2
- Microsoft.LearningComponents.MRCI
- Microsoft.LearningComponents.SharePoint
- Microsoft.LearningComponents.Storage
- Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit 1.3.0.2

Conclusion:
If you want Course Manager to work immediately, install the SLK 1.3.1 - Alpha version, instead of the SLK 1.3.1 RC1 version. If you have already installed RC1 and would like to have the Course Manager, you can easily revert back to SLK 1.3.1 Alpha for the time being. Otherwise, we will have to wait until the Course Manager RC1 release can be updated to support the 1.3.1 assemblies. provided by SLK 1.3.1 RC1.

Nov 7, 2008 at 10:19 PM

I was finally able to get SLK 1.3.1 RC1 working with Course Manager RC1. In order to do so, I recomplied all the .dll (with SLK 1.3.1 installed on my system) files and re added them to the GAC. I also needed to change the reference in the CourseManagerConfigure.aspx page.

The final change I did to the Installer.bat file, where I disabled the check for SLK 1.3.1 and .NET 3.5. After looking at the source code, it is checking for 1.3.0.2 regardless of the parameter you provide to the exe file. I simply deleted this out of the .bat file.

I have packaged all these changes in a .zip file and hope to have them uploaded shortly.

Nov 10, 2008 at 2:52 PM
skifaster,

This is great news! Please let me/us know when this is uploaded. I am anxiously waiting to get this installed.
Jan 23, 2009 at 9:31 PM
Are these files available?
Jan 26, 2009 at 6:20 PM
I have submitted these files to the CodePlex community. They have not made there way to the site however. If there is someone who has a Codeplex dev environment and can team up with me to create a patch, that would be much appreciated. I do not have time to set one up. 

For those who would like the files right away, I have a zip file ready to go. Please send me a message with your email through CodePlex and I will attach the zip file. Any files sent, come with no guarantees, but I have installed it many times and it works in every case.