Course Manager Problems

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Nov 4, 2008 at 8:26 AM
Hello.

I have installed the Course Manager on the 1.3.1 Alpha with WSS 3.0 and SQL 2005 Express.
But there are some errors.

1. There is no SLK Course Manager Administration in the Central Administration. So I cant set up the database.
I solved that manually by typing in the adress.

2. When I click on "Plan and Assign" or "Monitor and Assess" there comes nearly nothing.
Only: "Course Manager Pages - Plan_and_Assign" or "Course Manager Pages - Monitor_and_Assess" in the standard frame.

3. When I add a new Activity Group in the "Plan and Assign" Web Part I get this error:

"An unexpected error has occurred.
Web Parts Maintenance Page: If you have permission, you can use this page to temporarily close Web Parts or remove personal settings. For more information, contact your site administrator.
Troubleshoot issues with Windows SharePoint Services."

After deleting the this activity in the SQL Manager is working again. But the activity isnt there.

Maybe somebody can help me please.

Greetings Rookie
<meta content="Microsoft SharePoint" name="GENERATOR" /> <meta content="SharePoint.WebPartPage.Document" name="ProgId" /> <meta content="SharePoint Team Web Site" name="CollaborationServer" /> <meta content="Microsoft SharePoint" name="GENERATOR" /> <meta content="SharePoint.WebPartPage.Document" name="ProgId" /> <meta content="SharePoint Team Web Site" name="CollaborationServer" />
Nov 5, 2008 at 5:55 PM

RookieLKH,

The "Configure Course Manager" link does more than just setup the database, it configures the web.config and the registry. The problem you are experiencing is probably due to the web.config edits which have not been made.

To have the link show up under Central Administration -> Application Management, you have to activate the Feature on the Central Administration Site. To do so:

1. login to Central Administration
  2. Go to Site Actions -> All Site Settings
  3. Click on Site Features
  4. Activate "Course Manager Administration"
  5. Go back to Application Management, and it should appear on the bottom left

hope this helps,

Nov 6, 2008 at 9:58 AM
Hello,

Thanks for the answer. But your answer is only for the 1st point.

Point 2 and 3 are still not working.

Maybe sombody else has a solution for this. Because this would be very important for me.

I hope for help.

Greetings Rookie
Nov 7, 2008 at 10:06 PM

Can you elaborate a little more on #2? The links you talk about are in the "Course Manager Pages" web part? If so, these pages do not have the web parts on them, you need to add them manually. Judging by your comment on #3 I think you are trying to add the web parts to another page.

#3 - Plan & Assign will only work on a particular page.

1. Add the "Course Manager Pages" web part, under Misc. (not list) to any page you want to access the web parts
  2. Publish the page and click on "Plan and Assign"
  3. Add the "Plan and Assign" web part to this page (it will break on any other page)
Nov 12, 2008 at 6:20 AM
Oh, thanks. That solved my problems.
It would be nice, that this points would be mentioned in the user guide.

Now I can test the course manager.

Greetings

Rookie