Configuration Error

Topics: Project Management Forum, User Forum
Nov 6, 2008 at 12:51 AM

My environment consists of the following:
Windows Server 2008 (64-bit)
SQL Server 2005
MOSS 2007
SLK Version 1.3.0.2-x64

SharePoint is configured to run in a single server configuration, not a server farm with multiple servers.  Have verified the SharePointLearningKit database exists, under the default instance of the SQL Server.  Tables are all present, from what I can tell.  (they look all there, but this is my first install)

I have followed the installation instructions, and followed the SharePoint configuration instructions for enabling the webpart, and when I save the webpart to my SharePoint site, I get the following error:
An error occurred. More information may be available in the server event log.

I checked the Application Event Log on the server and get the following error line:
SharePoint Learning Kit Error

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Cannot open database "SharePointLearningKit" requested by the login. The login failed.
Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE'.

I checked the Farm Configuration section of the GettingStarted.pdf guide, and have verified all parts are not the issue, except the part that states:
"In a farm configuration, the SharePoint application pool must be a domain account (not a local machine account or built-in system account)."

I have checked my IIS Application Pools and each service is set to run as the NetworkService built-in system account.  As soon as I change this to a domain account to run the services, SharePoint will not allow any user to connect to it.  SharePoint freaks out.

Maybe I am not changing the SharePoint Application Pool startup account in the correct spot.  I am doing this using Role/Feature manager using the Windows Server 2008 IIS Manager console.  Do I need to change this configuration through SharePoint itself?  I have checked all throughout Central Administration, Operations and Application Management for SharePoint and cannot find a single spot it will let me change the startup account for Application Pools.

I can't verify if the SharePoint Learning Kit is actually woring with SharePoint after I make the above change to a domain account, because SharePoint says I am not an authorized user, throwing the following error:
Error: Access Denied

Current User
You are currently signed in as: BIOLASE\spadmin

Another point to mention is that, even though I have ensured that my Windows Server 2008 Features include Application Role with .Net Framework 3.0, the SharePoint Application Pools indicate they are .Net Framework 2.0.  I don't know if this could be causing the problem as well.

I would really like to deploy this SharePoint Learning Kit in my production environment, however I wanted to test this on our development box before we did that.

I am stuck at this point and don't know what to do.

Vinny Kelly
Database Administrator

Nov 7, 2008 at 10:25 PM
To change your application pool settings on a SharePoint site, do the following:

1. Login to Central Administration
  2. Go to the Operations tab
  3. Under 'Security Configuration' click on 'Service Accounts'
  4. Under 'Select the component to upgrade' selec the 'Web application pool' radio button
  5. From the drop box, select 'Windows SharePoint Services Web Application'
  6. From the 'Application Pool' drop down, select the application pool you want to change
  7. Once the page refreshes, enter the new information 'Configurable' in this case with user/pass
  8. Press ok.
Note: to change the Central Administration App Pool, simply use IIS.

Hope this helps,
Nov 7, 2008 at 10:34 PM
Thanks!  That worked perfectly!