Problems Deploying

Topics: User Forum
Jul 9, 2006 at 3:57 PM
Hi everybody,

I tried installing SLK today, and run into the following problem:

I run AddSolution.cmd (ALL OK)

I run DeploySolution.cmd (ALL OK)

I run EnumSolutions.cmd (Problems start)

<Solutions Count="1">
<Solution Name="sharepointlearningkit.wsp">
<Id>00057001-c978-11da-ba52-00042350e42e</Id>
<File>sharepointlearningkit.wsp</File>
<Deployed>FALSE</Deployed>
<WebApplicationSpecific>TRUE</WebApplicationSpecific>
<ContainsGlobalAssembly>TRUE</ContainsGlobalAssembly>
</Solution>
</Solutions>

notice the <Deployed>FALSE</Deployed> on the xml ...

When I access the SharePoint Central Administration, there's no SLK available ... so I'm unable to procceed with the rest of the steps on the documentation.

Anyone know what I might be doing wrong or/and how I can fix this?

When I run the ReInstallSolution.cmd, I noticed the following events on Event Viewer, under Application log:

---
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Windows SharePoint Services 3
Event Category: General
Event ID: 0
Date: 09-07-2006
Time: 15:18:13
User: N/A
Computer: CDSRV-LAB01
Description:
Error creating an instance of class "Microsoft.Office.Server.CommandLine.ProfileDeleteHandler,Microsoft.Office.Server,Version=12.0.0.0,Culture=neutral,PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c" for the command "profiledeletehandler" in the extended commands xml file "stsadmcommands.ssp.xml" Additional exception info : The method or operation is not implemented.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
---

Thanks in advance for your help :)

My kind regards,
Pedro Serrano
Jul 10, 2006 at 3:54 PM
Hi Pedro. Sorry to hear you're having trouble with deployment. There are many possible reasons why deployment might fail. If deployment fails, you can often determine the cause by reviewing the latest .log file in the WSS LOGS directory (typically "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\LOGS").

Regardless of the reason, you must cancel the deployment job before you can try again. To cancel a deployment job, go to SharePoint Central Administration, Operations, Timer Job Definitions, click on the deployment job, and click "Delete".

Let me know if this doesn't help.

Thanks,
-- David Gorbet MSFT
Jul 14, 2006 at 11:04 AM
I have exactly the same problem.
Unfortunately this forum doesnt allow postings of big messages, so I couldn't send a piece of logfile

Jul 15, 2006 at 10:04 PM
Hi David and Andrew,

Sorry for my delayed reply, but last week was busy.

David: I checked the log, but couldn't find anything that would help me understand what might be the problem.
There are clearly a lot of errors going on, for example:

«System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPFarm.FireChangeEvent(Guid objectId, SPPersistedObjectChangeEvent evt) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPConfigurationDatabase.SPFileSystemCacheWatcher.OnChanged(Object source, FileSystemEventArgs e)»

and

«Error creating an instance of class "Microsoft.Office.Server.CommandLine.ProfileDeleteHandler,Microsoft.Office.Server,Version=12.0.0.0,Culture=neutral,PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c" for the command "profiledeletehandler" in the extended commands xml file "stsadmcommands.ssp.xml" Additional exception info : The method or operation is not implemented.»

I tried going over the installation process again (updates, sql service pack, etc), but am still getting the same error again :(

David, is there any way how I can send you my logs or any additional info to help understand the problem?

Andrew, sorry to hear about you having the same problem. If I solve it on my side, I'll post it here. Please let me know if you manage to solve it and how as well :)

Thanks all in advance.

My kind regards,
Pedro Serrano
Jul 17, 2006 at 9:56 PM
Can you tell me a bit more about your configuration? What edition of Windows 2003 server are you using? Are you on one machine, or a farm? If a farm, what's your farm topology?

Thanks!
Jul 18, 2006 at 10:33 AM
Hi David,

Yes, of course - thanks for your interest.

Single machine with:
---
Windows 2003 R2 («windows updated»)
Domain Controller
IIS, .NET 2.0
SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition
WinFX Runtime Components Beta 2
Windows Communication Foundation update
Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007
---

Please let me know if there's any additional information required.

My kind regards,
Pedro Serrano
Jul 20, 2006 at 7:15 PM
The FAQ has been updated to summarize Domain Controller configuration problems.

http://www.codeplex.com/Wiki/View.aspx?ProjectName=SLK&title=SLK%20FAQ
Jul 20, 2006 at 7:23 PM
Hi Rob,

I'm betting this to be a SharePoint problem, and not DC related, from what I've seen in the logs so far:

lots of «... object reference not set to an instance of an object ...» and «profiledeletehandler not implemented» (or something similar)...

Hope this feedback is helpful!

My kind regards,
Pedro Serrano
Jul 24, 2006 at 4:32 PM
Hi Pedro,

I have experienced a similar problem when deploying the SLK. Here's what i did to fix my problem:

1. Before deploying the SLK I created a new sharepoint web application and a new site collection with the url http://www.example.co.uk and used the Internet presence template.

2. I then tried to deploy the SLK but encountered the same problem.

3. I edited the DeploySolution.cmd file as follows:

rem -- deploys the SharePointLearningKit solution to WSS; use RetractSolution.cmd to reverse this
net start spadmin
@SET SPDIR="c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\web server extensions\12"
%SPDIR%\bin\stsadm -o deploysolution -name SharePointLearningKit.wsp -url http://www.example.com -immediate -allowGacDeployment
rem --
rem -- ***** NOTE -- THIS OPERATION MAKE TAKE A MINUTE TO COMPLETE *****
rem -- ** Use EnumSolutions.cmd to check the status of this operation **
rem --

NOTE: I changed the URL from localhost to the actual URL of the site i had created (http://www.example.com). This seemed to do the trick. I also had to wait a minute before running the Enumsolutions.cmd.

Hope this helps
Jul 26, 2006 at 5:05 PM
Thanks Sammy. I'll post a FAQ entry about this, and will be sure that the GettingStarted document is updated for the next CTP release.
Aug 24, 2006 at 3:09 PM
Hi Sammy,

Thanks for posting :) I already had tried that, with no luck so far :(

I'll try this new SLK CTP2, hoping to have better luck :)

Will keep you posted!

My kind regards,
Pedro Serrano
http://pserrano.blogscavedigital.com