Is SLK being actively developed?

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Nov 22, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Hi,

I notice that the current version is still 1.5.2 (released in February 2011 and updated in July 2011) and Beta 6.1 (released October 2011). There was talk of version 1.7 some time ago but all has become very quiet.

Is the SLK still being supported and being actively developed? Whilst it is a great tool there are a number of problems which it would be great to have solved - not least the lack of any reporting tools. I, like most of us, am having to dredge around in the back-end SQL database which I'd rather not do - it only because I do not want to expose the internal structure to end users.

Additionally, with the advent of SharePoint 2013, is there going to be any support for this?

Thanks and regards,

Dave

Coordinator
Nov 29, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Hi Dave,

Yes it is being actively developed. If you look at the Source code history you can see what I've been doing. I've got several customers running 1.7, which is now feature complete. The main barrier to releasing that is documentation - I just haven't got any time for it. If anyone wants to play with 1.7 you can download from http://www.salamandersoft.co.uk/downloads/slk17.zip. The most up to date source of information on SLK developments is the SLK section of my blog, but even that is nowhere near up to date with the new features.

The next thing to come is a sandbox solution for Office 365 which is nearing completion (for testing) for a customer.

Richard

SLK Coordinator

http://blog.salamandersoft.co.uk

Nov 29, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Do you plan to release O365 version on codeplex as well?

I'm curious how you adopted SLK to sandbox ;)

Nov 29, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the reply. I've upgraded our development environment from 1.6beta to 1.7 and, so far, I've not seen any appreciable difference, certainly in regards to look and feel and how leaners and instructors interact with the system. It would be useful if there were a list of changes between 1.7 and 1.5 / 1.6beta. Would you recommend upgrading - I don't want to upgrade our live environment (running 1.6beta) unless there is a good reason to do so.

Also, I notice that there still seems to be no reporting facility. There was some talk of this being included in a future release of SLK. Is this still planned?

Thanks and regards,

Dave