My Assignments Error

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Dec 17, 2008 at 6:16 PM
Good morning,

I'm new to SharePoint and SLK and am having an issue with setup of SLK.  SharePoint seems to be working fine.  I recieve the following error under My Assignments.

My Assignments

My Assignments Web Part Menu
An error occurred. More information may be available in the server event log.

I have read and checked thread 6867. 
http://www.codeplex.com/SLK/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=6867

I have a web.config located at C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories\80 and another one at C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories\portal.gocva.com80.  The website that I'm working on is located in the portal.gocva.com80 folder, the host header is portal.gocva.com.  Both of these config's had pages enableSessionState= set to false.  I made them both true.  Both configs already had <add name="Session" type="System.Web.SessionState.SessionStateModule" />.

This is my event log......

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Windows SharePoint Services 3
Event Category: None
Event ID: 0
Date:  12/17/2008
Time:  12:49:08 PM
User:  N/A
Computer: MAIL01
Description:
SharePoint Learning Kit Error

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConnection(DbConnection owningObject)
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory)
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory)
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open()
   at Microsoft.LearningComponents.Storage.LearningStore.GetSchemaInformationFromCache(String connectionString, ImpersonationBehavior impersonationBehavior, TextWriter debugLog)
   at Microsoft.LearningComponents.Storage.LearningStore.GetSchema()
   at Microsoft.LearningComponents.Storage.LearningStore.CreateJob()
   at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.SlkStore.GetStore(SPWeb spWeb)
   at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.WebParts.AssignmentListWebPart.SetQuerySetOverride()
   at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.WebParts.AssignmentListWebPart.SetAlwpProperties(Int32& cols)
   at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.WebParts.AssignmentListWebPart.RenderAssignmentList(HtmlTextWriter htmlTextWriter)
   at Microsoft.LearningComponents.Storage.LearningStore.GetSchemaInformationFromCache(String connectionString, ImpersonationBehavior impersonationBehavior, TextWriter debugLog)
   at Microsoft.LearningComponents.Storage.LearningStore.GetSchema()
   at Microsoft.LearningComponents.Storage.LearningStore.CreateJob()
   at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.SlkStore.GetStore(SPWeb spWeb)
   at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.WebParts.AssignmentListWebPart.SetQuerySetOverride()
   at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.WebParts.AssignmentListWebPart.SetAlwpProperties(Int32& cols)
   at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.WebParts.AssignmentListWebPart.RenderAssignmentList(HtmlTextWriter htmlTextWriter)
   at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.WebParts.AssignmentListWebPart.RenderContents(HtmlTextWriter writer)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I don't know if it's relevent or not, but when configuring SharePoint learning kit, I had to change the database server from MAIL01 to MAIL01\OFFICESERVERS.  Before I did this, I got a similar error to the above when trying to creat the DB.

I am running SQL 2005 Express on a windows 2003 RS2 server.  I did change the SQL surface area configuration to allow connections for Local and remote connections using both TCP/IP and named pipes. 

I don't really know where to go from here other then this forum.  I haven't found any other info on the web.  And....I have to present SLK as a demo tomorrow morning.  :-/ 

I thank you in advance for any guidence you can provide.

Dec 18, 2008 at 1:38 AM
I ended up deleting the web apps and starting over again.  This time I followed all the same steps and it worked.  I must have done something differently but I don't know what.