I got the following probelm while trying to deploy SLK

Topics: User Forum
Jul 13, 2006 at 3:37 PM
I could not deploy the SLK solution and I got the following error from the log file:

07/13/2006 17:20:49.74 OWSTIMER.EXE (0x117C) 0x1184 Windows SharePoint Services Timer 5utr Medium Queued timer job Windows SharePoint Services Solution Deployment for "sharepointlearningkit.wsp", id {04BF86B5-5BA9-40F5-BADF-86BFB948C9D1}
07/13/2006 17:20:50.29 OWSTIMER.EXE (0x117C) 0x118C Windows SharePoint Services Timer 7psa Critical The Execute method of job definition Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPSolutionDeploymentJobDefinition (ID 04bf86b5-5ba9-40f5-badf-86bfb948c9d1) threw an exception. More information is included below. Requested registry access is not allowed.
07/13/2006 17:20:50.46 OWSTIMER.EXE (0x117C) 0x118C Windows SharePoint Services Timer 72ae Unexpected Exception stack trace: at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowSecurityException(ExceptionResource resource) at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.OpenSubKey(String name, Boolean writable) at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.OpenSubKey(String name) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPCredentialManager.getMasterKey() at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPCredentialManager.DecryptWithMasterKey(Byte[] rgbEncryptedPassphrase) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPEncryptedString.GetSecureStringValue() at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPEncryptedString.getSecureStringValue() at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPSolutionDeploymentJobDefinition.Execute(Guid targetInstanceId) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPTimerJobInvoke.Invoke(TimerJobExecuteData& data, ...
07/13/2006 17:20:50.46* OWSTIMER.EXE (0x117C) 0x118C Windows SharePoint Services Timer 72ae Unexpected ...Int32& result)
Jul 14, 2006 at 3:36 AM
I don't think we have seen this error yet. Can you describe a bit more about your configuration and whether it deviates at all from the getting started document?

Also, does this error consistently happen to you if you try to deploy again? To try deploying the solution again you must make sure the previous deployment job is canceled. To cancel a deployment job, go to SharePoint Central Administration, Operations, Timer Job Definitions, click on the deployment job, and click "Delete".

Thanks,
Mark Knight MSFT

PS. A couple times we have asked in postings if a setup deviates from the getting started doc. I don’t want to scare people into thinking that is all we will support long term. Certainly brighter days are coming with regard to other configurations. With CTP1 we haven’t done a lot of testing yet outside the getting started configuration, so knowing how your setup compares is helpful for our testing and investigations.
Jul 14, 2006 at 10:23 AM
I don’t think my installation deviates from standard installation.
My system has the following configurations

Windows 2003 SP1
SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition

And I have installed all the prerequisites as defined from the Getting started document.
I have tried to deploy many times and with 2 different environments and I always get this error. I both cases I had SQL Server 2000 installed on the system, but in one of the environments I uninstalled it before installing SQL 2005.

Also in both cases my Windows 2003 is configured as Domain Controller. Does this cause any differences?

Thank you for the support
Jul 14, 2006 at 6:55 PM
We have forwarded this post to the SharePoint team for their comment. We will keep you posted.

Thanks,
Mark
Jul 17, 2006 at 9:49 PM
Hi Tamer.

The fact that your Windows 2003 server is configured as a domain controller could make a singificant difference. The domain controller is one of the most important components in your network to secure, so when you configure Windows 2003 as a domain controller, the security hardening policy is very restrictive.

Since it looks like the error you're getting is a registry access error, it probably is related to the security policy on your server. We haven't tested on a domain controller, and are frankly not sure if this will be a tested scenario when we ship, since it's generally not recommended that people run Web applications on their domain controller. I know some contortions are generally required to get other apps to run on a domain controller (e.g. SharePoint), so I expect that it doesn't come for free.

I'm interested in feedback about this from you or anyone else who's reading this thread. Is it important that SLK support running on a domain controller? If so, why?

Thanks,
-- David Gorbet MSFT
Jul 18, 2006 at 7:27 AM
Hello David,

I did install SLK on a Windows 2003 machine that is not a domain controller and it deployed successfully.
I personally not in a need to deploy SLK on a Domain Controller right now.
Honestly I am not sure if this is a problem of SharePoint 2007 running under domain controller or it’s an SLK problem since I didn’t try to deploy any other solutions on my domain controller other than SLK.
But in my opinion, if it is a SharePoint 2007 problem than it needs to be addressed or be mentioned clearly that SPS 2007 doesn’t support being installed on a DC.

Thanks,
Tamer
Jul 18, 2006 at 10:50 AM
Hi,

I believe support for deployment on DC should be in place.

Single machine deployements are everywhere, either in virtual machine development environments, or production for small companies or departments.

Don't be shy :) either active directory is a good thing, or a bad thing ;) make it part of the good things :D

Hope this feedback helps.

My kind regards,
Pedro Serrano
Jul 20, 2006 at 1:01 AM
Thanks for the feedback, Pedro. Like Tamer, I'm not sure whether this is an SLK or a MOSS issue, but we'll look into it.
Jul 26, 2006 at 5:09 PM
Tamer or Pedro, could one of you try the suggestion that Sammy made in http://www.codeplex.com/Project/DisplayThread.aspx?ProjectName=SLK&ForumId=189&ThreadId=393 and see if that helps when deploying on a DC? If so, could you let me know if that worked for you?

Thanks!
Aug 2, 2006 at 6:34 PM
Hi,

I've the same issues. My virtual machine is Windows 2003 and as a Domain Controller. I've changed the url from localhost to a full url, but still the problem persists.

I've also retracted, deleted and re-added the solution but the same problem occurs.

Is there anything else we can try, even low-level hacking, just to get this installed?

Aug 3, 2006 at 4:26 PM
Hi Ahura. We still haven't tested on a domain controller yet. After we get CTP2 out next week, I'll take a look at this and see what I can come up with.

In the mean time, you could try running your domain controller in a separate virtual server from SLK. That should work.