Using SPLK to build something to gather scorm data

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Jan 9, 2013 at 8:57 PM

First off I am a total newbie to this so if anyone has an answer to my question please g-o s-l-o-w :-)

So we have what our company calls an LMS, in actuality it is just a task scheduler. (you need to take this, this and this by this date) We keep our elearning courses at a separate site and a link is provided in the LMS to launch the course. The LMS does not have SCORM, AICC or anything else. You actually have to manually enter that you took the course. This is not going to change.  I was wondering if it is possible using the SLK to develop something that resides in SharePoint to capture the SCORM or AICC data that can be generated by our elearning modules.  We don't need the whole SharePoint LMS functionality, just SCORM data capture so we can evaluate the education we are delivering. I hope I have explained this well enough and if anyone has any suggestions or answers thanks in advance.

Coordinator
Jan 10, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Ho mohrm01,

SLK can do all that. Looks like you've got a couple of options here. Firstly to use SLK, you'll need to put your SCORM learning courses in a SharePoint site. Then you can do one of (and there's probably other options as well)

1. Use the full SLK functionality to assign the courses to the learners and stop using your current task scheduler.
  2. Once given the work in your task scheduler, the learner goes to your SharePoint site and self-assigns the package and takes the course.
  3. Once given the work in your task scheduler, the learner goes to your SharePoint site, and uses the new web part in version 1.7 which lists packages with a link which starts the course immediately without self-assigning it.

Richard

SLK Coordinator

http://blog.salamandersoft.co.uk

Jan 10, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Richard

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately we cannot put our SCORM learning courses in a SharePoint site. They have to reside on a validated system due to government regulation. So we need something in SharePoint that will "talk" to the SCORM learning. I know it's a mess.....

Coordinator
Jan 11, 2013 at 9:19 AM

SLK will only work with packages in SharePoint, some I'm afraid that it's not your answer. If the validated system has an api, you could build a system to talk to it.