Looking for SLK Project Coordinators

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Coordinator
Jan 22, 2009 at 7:28 PM
In the past, I've been very involved in managing this project and its transition from an internal Microsoft effort to an open source project.  For a number of months, I maintained a strong presence here in addition to many other personal responsibilities.  Unfortunately, for the last six months or so I've been unable to give this project the attention it deserves due to a combination of family and work responsibilities.  I think it's time for me to step aside and get one or more other coordinators to take over.

If you're interested in being an SLK coordinator, please drop me email via the codeplex site.

- jcb
Coordinator
Jan 28, 2009 at 3:01 AM
I am happy to announce that Richard Willis of SalamaderSoft has accepted the role of contributor on the SLK project.  As a frequent contributor to SLK, it's a great bonus to have him on the project.  Please give him your best welcome and thanks.

The job of co-ordinator is still open.  If other contributors wish to add their efforts to Richard's, please let me know.

- jcb
Coordinator
Jan 28, 2009 at 8:42 PM
Firstly, many thanks for all the hard work that you have put in, Jay.

As a bit of background about myself I run a small software house called SalamanderSoft which provides Active Directory and SharePoint provisioning tools and web parts to the education sector. I have quite a few customers who use SLK and one of my main products is designed around provisioning SharePoint for use by SLK. I have also created some  patches for SLK around the latest upgrade and Firefox support. So I have some experience of SLK.

Hopefully, now that I am co-ordinator we can get the projects moving again. My priorities are:
  • Get a new release out, with upgrade support for the previous version
  • Support Firefox and other browsers in SLK. I might roll this into the next release depending on how much work it is. I've done most of it, but I'm just working on Safari support at the moment
  • Answer questions in the forums
  • A new release of the LG web parts supporting the latest version of SLK
  • A drop box
After that it will depend on what is being requested in the forums and issue tracker. I might look at Course Builder, or get the rest of LG up to date.

Now, although I am co-ordinator, I do have a day job as Managing Directory of SalamanderSoft. My role as co-ordinator complements this, which is why I was prepared to take it on, however realistically I am going to have a couple of hours a week I can spend on the projects. My paying customers will always take priority! I'm not going to be able to do all the work that I'd like to see done on the projects, so either the community needs to volunteer or submit patches, which I will look at, or it's going to take some time. The alternative is if I can get funding to spend more time on it - any volunteers ;)

Finally, although it is easy to find my contact details, please direct all queries and support requests to the forums. I won't be the only one who answers questions, and any answer needs to be a shared resource.

I hope to keep you up to date through the forums and my blog.
Feb 1, 2009 at 9:03 PM
Hi Richard,

I'm using SLK for a year. It's a great project and I'm sure you can do a great work.

Welcome and thanks,

Manuel.