Alternative to using AD groups?

Topics: User Forum
Nov 11, 2013 at 12:57 PM
After a few tests, I've started to upload some SCORM compliant learning materials that staff have received and would like to share with the students.

I've uploaded the materials, and got to the point of setting the assigned site. This is where the page stops responding, and I believe it's due to the site not having the SLK Learner permission applied to individuals. I can't see a way of automating the way students are added, mainly due to no field in each students AD account holding a value to say which course area they are part of.

The only way I can see students being added to each site, is by doing it manually ... something I know staff will turn away at, having to do more work. There are a LOT of students already on courses, and students enrol all the time

This could, possibly, stop us from using SLK.
Coordinator
Nov 13, 2013 at 9:09 AM
I've uploaded the materials, and got to the point of setting the assigned site. This is where the page stops responding, and I believe it's due to the site not having the SLK Learner permission applied to individuals. I can't see a way of automating the way students are added, mainly due to no field in each students AD account holding a value to say which course area they are part of.
So does the assignment properties page show, or does it just not respond once it is displayed?
The only way I can see students being added to each site, is by doing it manually ... something I know staff will turn away at, having to do more work. There are a LOT of students already on courses, and students enrol all the time
Realistically for an entire institution, the best way is to script it either by PowerShell, the ProvisionFromExcel sample in the source code or a 3rd party tool.

Or if your students are already given permissions on courses, you can use that permission to indicate a student, rather then the out of the box SLK Learner one.

Richard
SlK Coordinator
http://blog.salamandersoft.co.uk
Nov 13, 2013 at 1:49 PM
So does the assignment properties page show, or does it just not respond once it is displayed?
90% of the time the page fails to load ... actually get a page could not be displayed message. The other 10%, the page refreshes itself and lists every user's name.
Realistically for an entire institution, the best way is to script it either by PowerShell, the ProvisionFromExcel sample in the source code or a 3rd party tool.
I've very briefly looked at this, but (annoyingly) the system that holds student information/records and is used for enrolling students, only has the very basic fields (username, firstname, surname, email address) available to AD. Add to this a lack of live connection between this system and AD, meaning that if a student were to change course, then it would be a manual update for AD, and therefore SharePoint.

We are looking to 'empower' some staff, and show them how to manage site permissions. This way they can look after their courses.
Coordinator
Nov 14, 2013 at 10:08 AM
Sounds like you need to reduce the number of users set to be learners on that site. SLK works best if you have sites mirroring your class structure. The page struggles when there are 1000s of users to list, and it really isn't user friendly to use.

I did do a serious of blog posts on how to architect your sites for best use of SLK.
http://blog.salamandersoft.co.uk/index.php/2011/06/how-to-organise-class-sites-for-sharepoint-learning-kit-the-basics/