Development Announcement

Coordinator
Mar 2, 2009 at 8:37 PM
Hi All,

I'm pleased to announce that Microsoft has commissioned ITWorx to improve SLK, enhancing functionality and making it easier to deploy. The revisions, which are driven by partner and customer feedback since the launch of the Course Manager last summer, broadly cover:
  • A drop box integrated into SLK
  • Grade book extract and course copier features for Course Manager
  • Various bug fixes
Additional details about the revision project should be available within the next two weeks. I'll update you as soon as I have more details.

Regards,
Richard
SLK Co-ordinator
http://blog.salamandersoft.co.uk

Coordinator
Mar 6, 2009 at 12:04 AM
Hi All,

I've now got some more details about the development work which ITWorx has been commissioned to do. These should really push the project forward and looking forward to seeing them completed.

ITWorx is going to deliver materials to the community in three phased drops. A brief summary of these drops with approximate delivery dates is:

1.    Mid to Late March: SLK bug fixes

Allow LRM files to render on x64 environments
      Enable Teacher Review to function properly with SCORM 2004 content
      Enable SLK's web player to render on Firefox

2.    Mid to Late April: Drop Box code bundled with Course Copy and Grade Book Extractor components

3.    Early to Mid May: Documentation for the Drop Box, Course Copy, Grade Book Extractor    

This release will be named 1.4. I'll update you with any changes to the plans as I find them out.

Any other modifications I or any one else make in the meantime will get put up on the 1.3.2 release and will need integrating back into the IT Worx code when it is complete. To avoid too much work here I'll probably concentrate on MLG source code changes rather than SLK until IT Worx has complete.

Regards,
Richard
SLK Co-ordinator

Mar 6, 2009 at 8:27 AM
Good news.

We are just about to launch a elearning based certification scheme, and the inability for the teacher to review submissions is making me reconsider use of the SLK.
We are using Articulate Quizmaker and generating SCORM 2004 quizzes, and whilst we can see the students final score, we are unable to review their answers to individual questions. (and so at the moment have them email us a copy of the quiz too, so I can peek at the values)

Good Luck.
Mar 6, 2009 at 12:37 PM
Perhaps on the development the ITWorx team could make these fixes as bug fixes and make the update so that current work by folks on 1.3.1 and subsequenlty 1.3.2 is not impacted and an integration effort is not required that could cause an impact to customer deployments of this solution.  A complete reinstall of the SLK without considering changes by others is not appropriate, a method for an unobtrusive update to current install is needed.