Question about SCORM players with SLK

Topics: User Forum
Jul 24, 2006 at 6:51 PM
Ok, I am still learning about the way SCORM stuff works so forgive me if this seems like a dumb question...

Can you leverage different SCORM players with your learning packages delivered through the SLK?

Is the SCORM player that plays the Solitaire lesson baked into the SLK or defined within the Solitaire package itself?

Nick
Jul 25, 2006 at 7:54 AM
No problem, no dumb questions here.

The solitaire content is an example of a SCORM 2004 package. You can think of the SharePoint Learning Kit and the underlying Microsoft Learning Components (MLC) as the player.

SCORM is a collection of standards that define how web resources can be packaged together to create interactive e-learning content (solitaire). The standards also define how a learning management system runs that content (SLK).

SLK is designed around the Microsoft Learning Components, which are part of the SLK project and provide the e-learning runtime and a lot of SLK’s power.

SLK is one application that uses MLC. You could use MLC to create your own application that runs SCORM 2004, SCORM 1.2, and Class Server content. In the SDK we have an example called Basic Web Player that demonstrates how MLC can be used separately from SharePoint to create an e-learning application.

-Mark
Jul 25, 2006 at 8:50 PM
Mark, thanks for the explanation.

Let me see if I have this right...

The Microsoft Learning Components provide the underlying framework for running eLearning content, so the SCORM player framework is here.

The SLK application that sits on top of the MLC runs the content through the MLC framework and interfaces what is going on in the player with SharePoint and the database.

The way that the content runs in the player (the content itself, the order of the content, the activities, quizzes, etc) is set-up and configured in the SCORM package (manifest file).

Correct?
Jul 26, 2006 at 3:07 AM
Yes, I think you got it.

SLK sits on top of MLC and adds the SharePoint integration, assignment workflow, and extension of the MLC database to store assignment information, which is not a SCORM or MLC concept.

So, in addition to the e-learning runtime, MLC provides the core LearningStore database, which SLK uses and extends to store SLK-level information beyond the core e-learning information stored by MLC. Examples of SLK concepts stored in the extended database are assignment information (title, description, points possible, due date, etc.) and learner assignment information (learner ID, learner assignment state, final score, instructor comments to the learner, etc.).

-Mark