Signing Up for SLK Courses

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Mar 23, 2009 at 8:35 PM
Hi all,

Is there a recommended way for a WSS/MOSS user to sign-up for a course? For example I'd like to have a list of courses available and then user decides what they would like to take.

Is it possible to use this model in the current build or would I need to build some custom code to list courses and auto assign them when selected?

Thanks,
Simon
Coordinator
Mar 23, 2009 at 9:26 PM
Hi Simon,

At the moment there's 2 ways of being able to take an assignment.

1.    An instructor assigns you the assignment.
2.    As a learner you select E-Learning actions, then assign to self, then begin assignment.

I've actually done some work around 2, which you can now have a url which automatically assigns it to yourself, then opens the Scorm frameset and plays the course. I just need to do a custom column definition or similar to allow the url to be exposed before releasing.

Richard
SLK  Co-ordinator
http://blog.salamandersoft.co.uk
Jan 26, 2010 at 7:38 PM

Hi Richard,

Tracking learner activity is important for managing the Training function, and I like the idea of self-assignment. This is especially good for videos we package and need to track completion status. So the questions I have on self-assignment:

1. Suppose I package a video for self-assignment, and 50 learners self-assign to this video SCORM package. Will SLK identify the completion status of all 50 learners?  My fear is that the mechanics of self-assignment may mean losing site that 50 people watched the video, and that I'd have to piece together many db entries to figure out the number of calls to the video.
  2. Will learners be enabled to delete self-assignments (and therefore sabotage our recordkeeping needs)?

All the best,

Tom