cmi.suspend_data element error while doing the quizzes

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Apr 27, 2009 at 1:50 AM
Hi,

Does anyone ever encounter this error while running their SCORM package within SLK? I've created the SCORM package 2004 using Articulate Presenter 09 and Articulate Quizmaker 09. But this error pops out while i am in the middle doing the elearning courses especially during the quizzes.

Could not set one or more values as requested.

More information:

The value (viewed=1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,...) is not a valid value for the cmi.suspend_data element. The data was not updated. More information: Specified argument was out of the range of valid values. Parameter name: value

Does anyone know what's this error about and how to solve it? Please help. Thank you.

May 22, 2009 at 9:18 PM

How ironic....we are experiencing the exact same error as well...have you or anyone else been able to solve this error?  Any guidance is much appreciated.

Thanks!

May 25, 2009 at 12:38 AM

are you publishing the scorm package as scorm 2004 3rd edition from Articulate?

By looking at the source code, I found out that sharepoint learning kit doesnt support 2004 3rd edition. Because SLK only support 4096 characters for the cmi._suspend_data length which is the scorm 2004 2nd edition standard.

I've changed my SLK code to support 2004 scorm 3rd edition standard by increasing the length of cmi.suspend_data length to 64000. That should fix that error.

Cheers.

Andreyaraminta

May 26, 2009 at 3:28 PM

Great information!  And yes, we checked and the SCORM package was published for SCORM 2004 3rd edition.  As far as changing the length of cmi.suspend_data length to 64000...that sounds a bit out of our league...is it correct that you had to recompile the code after this change?

Thanks,

Mike Carpenter

May 26, 2009 at 8:00 PM

Hello people, i had a similar error and i fix it making some changes in javascripts files. When I call setValue function for the suspend_data key, I "escape" value, and when I initialize the package I "unescape" de suspend_data value. This fix my problem...

Hope this help you.

May 27, 2009 at 12:53 AM

Hi Mike,

Yes you need to get the source code from codeplex and recompile the code again. I need to do this from the start because my company need a lot of customization to be done with the existing SLK.

I did not change the javascript file as fcelaya did. What i did just get into the datamodel class and increase the value that checks the suspend data from 4096 to 64000 thats all. And dont forgot to change the slkschema as well, because in the database it put a constraint to put data less than 4096 as well.

That way, you wont be having problem with the course having a resume functionality for the presentation and the quiz

Maybe SLK team can fix in the new release so SLK can support SCORM 2004 3rd edition.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Andrey

Jul 1, 2009 at 4:23 PM
Edited Jul 1, 2009 at 4:26 PM

Hi Richard,

we are going live in a couple of days, and we are having the same problem.
Is it a lot of work to get a fix for this problem in a new development built?

Here are some links from the articulate forum.

http://www.articulate.com/forums/articulate-presenter/11377-cmi-suspend_data-element-error.html

http://www.articulate.com/forums/articulate-quizmaker/11740-cmi-interactions-n-description-length.html

thx in advance
Jeroen en Koen

Jul 2, 2009 at 1:12 PM

konvert,

do you have access to the SLK source code? and can recompile the code? If not ,  i can't help you because you do need to change the SLK source code and recompile it.

I still don't understand why SLK team haven't fix this bug yet with the latest release...

As what i said above, the solution to fix the cmi.suspend_data problem is

What i did just get into the datamodel class and increase the value that checks the suspend data from 4096 to 64000 thats all. And dont forgot to change the slkschema as well, because in the database it put a constraint to put data less than 4096 as well.

Regards

Andrey

Coordinator
Jul 3, 2009 at 6:53 AM

I've added a new 1.3.2 development build to support an increased length. I haven't done an exhaustive check to make sure nothing else is broken. This should be considered a temporary fix until someone can look at full support for SCORM 2004 v 3 & 4.

You will also need to run the sql at the end to update the schema.

Thanks for pointing out where to change it Andrey.

The reason why the SLK team hadn't fixed this bug is that the team is me and I have a full-time job! If someone reports a bug with a solution as you just did it's much more likely that I'll have the time to fix it, than if I have to track it down from scratch.

Regards,

Richard

SLK Co-ordinator

declare @name nvarchar(32),
    @sql nvarchar(1000)

-- find constraint name
select @name = O.name
from sysobjects AS O
left join sysobjects AS T
    on O.parent_obj = T.id
where isnull(objectproperty(O.id,'IsMSShipped'),1) = 0
    and O.name not like '%dtproper%'
    and O.name not like 'dt[_]%'
    and T.name = 'activityattemptitem'
    and O.name like 'CK__ActivityA__Suspe%'

-- delete if found
if @name is null
begin
    print 'Could not find constraint'
end
else
begin
    select @sql = 'ALTER TABLE activityattemptitem DROP CONSTRAINT [' + @name + ']'
    execute sp_executesql @sql
    select @sql = 'ALTER TABLE activityattemptitem ADD CONSTRAINT [' + @name + '] CHECK(LEN([SuspendData])<=64000) '
    execute sp_executesql @sql
end

Jul 3, 2009 at 11:07 AM

Hi Richard,

Thanks a lot for your quick response !

We installed the fix and it works !

Since you are alone in ... 'your team', I must say you are really doing a great job !

We localised the changes we needed to make in the source code, but since you already fixed the sharepoint groups issue (nesting of AD groups in sharepoint groups), we could not start from the latest source code build (beginning of june) to do it ourself, because that does not include the solution for that issue.

Will SLK 1.4 fully support SCORM 2004 version1.3 (or even 1.4) ?

Best regards,

Koen

Feb 26, 2010 at 2:11 PM

hi guys!

i have experienced a similar problem and couldn't solve it. i changed the DataModelVerifiers.cs file and changed the the trashold in the functions that returns an error from 4096 to 64000. i ran the sql query that Richard published here, and still, when i am running one of my  scorm 2004 3d edition materials i get a very similar error to the one subjected in this thread.

more over, i tried to install the 59980 slk build version (that for my knowledge suposed to be a good solution for us) but got 3 build errors.

did i change the value in the wrong cs file (DataModelVerifiers.cs) ?

why are there 3 build errors in the 59980 build version?

Thanks so much for ur help :)

Yuval.