My Assignments web part sorting resets after refreshing page

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
May 5, 2009 at 2:50 PM
Hello there!

We've noticed that the My Assignments web part appears to reset its sorting upon refresh of the page.  In other words, if you click on the column for Status, and then refresh the page, the sorting is reset.  Anyone know if there is a way to ensure that user selected sorting for this web part is saved?

Thanks,
Mike Carpenter
Coordinator
May 9, 2009 at 11:50 PM

Hi Mike,

Just checked it out and I see what you mean. That's a limitation of how the web part is written. It uses a couple of frames, so the sorting is accomplished within one of the frame, hence the containing page has no knowledge of this and when it's refreshed it's reset.

I'm not a big fan of frames myself, but looking at the specification it was done for 2 reasons:

1.    Performance as the queries can be long-running.

2.    Handle formatting.

I certainly don't agree with 2 as a reason, but can see the reason for 1. It would be nice to rewrite it to use Ajax, but there's lots of things I could do to SLK, and I'm not sure that would be top of the list compared to adding some of the missing functionality requested.

Regards,

Richard

SLK Co-ordinator

http://blog.salamandersoft.co.uk

May 12, 2009 at 1:13 PM

Thanks for the feedback Richard and good point about prioritizing requests!!!!

Regards,

Mike Carpenter

Coordinator
May 28, 2009 at 11:32 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.