Courses Vs Classes in SLK

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
May 25, 2009 at 5:32 AM

Hi All,

We have been forced to use SLK as our e-learning tool, by our IS department, as it interacts with Sharepoint server.

I am wondering if anyone can help me, in regards to a query I have?

We have some in-house Courses, which we need to run staff through, however, as they work over 7 days, we run these in a number of classes

We wish to keep the results and information as one course, but wish to assign individuals to different classes

i.e 7 staff attend Tuesday 10:30am - 12:30pm, 6 staff attend Wednesday 2:30pm - 4:30pm, 8 staff attend thursday 9am - 11am, and another 8 thursday 3pm - 5pm

They are all doing exactly the same course, but have been assigned to different classes

Does sharepoint have the capability to do this?

Many Thanks

Wayde

Coordinator
May 25, 2009 at 4:01 PM

Hi Wayde,

Yes and you've got a couple of options here.

1.    Create a SharePoint site for each Class and give the appropriate staff SLK Learner permissions and the instructors SLK Instructor permissions on them. Then when choosing e-Learning actions, the instructor can select the class and then pick the staff to assign to.

2.    Create a SharePoint site for each Course, then create SharePoint groups for the classes and add the appropriate staff to the groups. Then give the new groups SLK Learner permissions on the site. Then when the instructor choosing e-Learning action and assigns to that site, they will get a list of all the staff, but can select the groups/classes on the left hand side which will automatically select the correct staff members.

Regards,

Richard

SLK Co-ordinator

http://blog.salamandersoft.co.uk

May 25, 2009 at 11:48 PM
Edited May 25, 2009 at 11:50 PM
Hi Richard,
I see where you are coming from, but from a business perspective, we want to make it so all the results are in one place.
Currently, I have to take the same assignment, and roll it out as 6 different courses, one for each group of staff
The problem is then, I have 6 sets of results, one for each group
What I want to do is Create Course A
Course A is available from 1/6/09 to 30/8/09
Then in the calendar, I want it to still be Course A, however I want to assign it to
Group 1 on 03/06/2009
Group 2 on 09/06/2009
Group 3 on 11/06/2009
Group 4 on 25/06/2009
And I want each group to show as an individual entry on the calendar, is there any way of doing that at this point in time??
but then when we go to see the results, they are all in one easy to find page, rather than being stored on 6 different pages.
Regards
Wayde

Sent: Tuesday, 26 May 2009 00:32
To: Wayde Masters
Subject: Re: Courses Vs Classes in SLK [SLK:57344]

Hi Wayde,

Yes and you've got a couple of options here.

1. Create a SharePoint site for each Class and give the appropriate staff SLK Learner permissions and the instructors SLK Instructor permissions on them. Then when choosing e-Learning actions, the instructor can select the class and then pick the staff to assign to.

2. Create a SharePoint site for each Course, then create SharePoint groups for the classes and add the appropriate staff to the groups. Then give the new groups SLK Learner permissions on the site. Then when the instructor choosing e-Learning action and assigns to that site, they will get a list of all the staff, but can select the groups/classes on the left hand side which will automatically select the correct staff members.

Regards,

Richard

SLK Co-ordinator

Coordinator
Jun 1, 2009 at 12:31 AM

Hi Wayde,

No at the moment it's not possible with the standard SLK. Reporting is an area in which SLK is severely lacking.

I have done some work on it through SalamanderSoft prior to being project co-ordinator, which might be of help.

Richard

SLK Co-ordinator