Is SLK compatible with MS LCDS SCORM packages?

Topics: User Forum
Jun 1, 2009 at 8:19 AM

Hi All,

I have tried to create SCORM package witn Microsoft LCDS ( http://www.microsoft.com/Learning/tools/lcds/default.mspx ). Sharepoint Learning Kit will not run this package when I assign it to myself, downloads ZIP-file instead.

Head of imsmanifest.xml looks like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<manifest identifier="TEST_MANIFEST" version="1.0" xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.imsproject.org/xsd/imscp_rootv1p1p2 imscp_rootv1p1p2.xsd http://www.imsglobal.org/xsd/imsmd_rootv1p2p1 imsmd_rootv1p2p1.xsd http://www.adlnet.org/xsd/adlcp_rootv1p2 adlcp_rootv1p2.xsd" xmlns="http://www.imsproject.org/xsd/imscp_rootv1p1p2" xmlns:adlcp="http://www.adlnet.org/xsd/adlcp_rootv1p2" xmlns:imsmd="http://www.imsglobal.org/xsd/imsmd_rootv1p2p1" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
 <!--LCDS-02.03.00.9046-->
 <metadata>
  <schema>ADL SCORM</schema>
  <schemaversion>1.2</schemaversion>
  <imsmd:lom>
   <imsmd:general>
    <imsmd:title>
     <imsmd:langstring xml:lang="ru">header_in_russian</imsmd:langstring>
    </imsmd:title>
   </imsmd:general>
  </imsmd:lom>
 </metadata>

tried SLK-1.3.1 stable and SLK-1.3.2-20090220 development builds on Windows Sharepoint Services 3.0.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Vladimir.

Coordinator
Jun 1, 2009 at 10:30 AM

Hi Vladimir,

If you can upload the package to the patches page http://slk.codeplex.com/SourceControl/UploadPatch.aspx then I'll try and have a look.

Regards,

Richard

SLK Co-ordinator

http://blog.salamandersoft.co.uk

Jun 1, 2009 at 11:40 AM

Hi Richard,

I have uploaded my package to Patches

DownloadID = 70083

Thanks in advance!

Vladimir.

Coordinator
Jun 1, 2009 at 8:46 PM

I've had a quick look. The problem is that the unzip component used cannot handle the Russian characters in the filenames. As an interim measure if you can recreate it without the Russian characters it should be able to play the content. Longer term I'll have to look at replacing the unzip component.

Richard

Jun 2, 2009 at 6:33 AM

Richard, thank you for your support!

I tested SLK with English (US) LCDS package and it worked. Unfortunately, LCDS assigns names to XML-files automatically according to page names in my course, so I can't use English (US).

Is there any option to replace unzip component by myself (I suppose, Microsoft.LearningComponents.Compression.dll) ? Will it be replaced in 1.4 release? many non-English users will appreciate this change and will actually start using SLK.

I have to implement e-Learning system until July 1st, so I have to decide: to wait or to look for another E-Learning system?

Vladimir

Jun 15, 2009 at 1:11 PM
Edited Jun 15, 2009 at 1:13 PM

Hi Richard,

Are there any news regarding non-ASCII filenames inside ZIP files? What will you recommend: to patch Compression.cs (and probably double the work of the SLK development team) or to wait a little bit for a new release/patch? I hope MS.Internal.IO.Zip.ZipArchive and MS.Internal.IO.Zip.ZipFileInfo types are OK, the only thing to do is to properly invoke them?

Vladimir

Coordinator
Jun 23, 2009 at 9:16 AM

Hi Vladimir,

Been investigating this and found lots of different problems to overcome. Almost got there now.

Richard

Jun 23, 2009 at 12:45 PM

Hi Richard,

Thank you! If you need some development/testing resources on this issue, you are always welcome. I have joined a few of .NET professionals that are interested in making SLK better.

Vladimir

Jul 14, 2009 at 3:23 PM

Richard,

Hello! I'm having a similar problem. What you said to Vladimir about the Russian characters in the file names, do acute characters ( á, é, í, ó, ú - sometimes I write courses in Spanish) also affect the ability for sharepoint to 'show' and not download the zip of my courses? Thanks.

-Mario

Jul 14, 2009 at 3:48 PM

Ok, I tried eliminating acute characters from my course (I'm using Ms LCDS) just now from the course's name, module name input box, lesson name, and all sub topics boxes and uploaded it to sharepoint and its working, just uploaded a second one to make sure!

Aug 27, 2009 at 1:50 PM
Edited Aug 27, 2009 at 2:38 PM

I've just installed SLK 1.4 from Patches. Things getting better: when I try to assign Russian LCDS package to myself, SLK says in Russian something like "An error has occured, maybe you will find some details in a server event log" instead of downloading ZIP-file. ASCII packages run well.

Server application log:

SharePoint Learning Kit Error

System.ArgumentException: The value is out of range. (I'm sorry, this is my translation from Russian, in English operation system message text may be different)

at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPListCollection.GetListByName(String strListName, Boolean bThrowException)

at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPListCollection.get_Item(String strListName)

at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.DropBoxManager.<>c__DisplayClass10.<CreateSelfAssignmentFolder>b__f()

at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.CodeToRunElevatedWrapper(Object state)

at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.<>c__DisplayClass4.<RunWithElevatedPrivileges>b__2()

at Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SecurityContext.RunAsProcess(CodeToRunElevated secureCode)

at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.RunWithElevatedPrivileges(WaitCallback secureCode, Object param)

at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.RunWithElevatedPrivileges(CodeToRunElevated secureCode)

at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.DropBoxManager.CreateSelfAssignmentFolder(String docLibTitle, AssignmentProperties assignmentProperties, String assignmentFolderName)

<font size="1">

at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.ApplicationPages.ActionsPage.lnkAssignSelf_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)

</font>

Nov 11, 2009 at 3:52 PM

I'm having the same problem with the zip and the download popup in the browser.

I zipped the content of the course in the root folder but it is still not working

Dec 13, 2009 at 11:00 PM

Hello Folks,

The documentation for the LCDS is a little sketchy on this point, essentially, you need to do the following:

- Navigate to your class folder directory, for most folks using LCDS this would be - C:\program files\microsoft\learning\lcdsc\courses

- From this location continue to navigate down the directory tree to get to the course you want to upload into the SPLK, for example, if you wanted to upload the sample course "Silverlight" you would open the Silverlight folder, so that your directory path now looks like this - C:\program files\microsoft\learning\lcdsc\courses\silverlight

- You're almost there!  Next, and this is the part it took me a while to figure out, you actually need to navigate down one level folder to the files under the "course" folder, so that your directory path now looks like this - C:\program files\microsoft\learning\lcdsc\courses\silverlight\course

- You should see all the course files in the right window pane of Windows Explorer, select all those files using CTRL + A, and then right click on your selected files to bring up the floating Windows Explorer file action menu.  From this menu choose to create a new Zip file using whatever zip tool you have (I highly recommend 7 Zip) and you have created a SCROM deployment package!

- Finally load this package to your SharePoint Learning Kit, and it should work as you expect.

Please LMK if you have any further issues or questions.

Tom Molskow
Senior SharePoint Architect

Dec 14, 2009 at 4:58 PM

Tom, just one question: have you ever read this thread? :)

avlg wrote:

I tested SLK with English (US) LCDS package and it worked. Unfortunately, LCDS assigns names to XML-files automatically according to page names in my course, so I can't use English (US).

Dec 14, 2009 at 5:28 PM

No, are you still having this issue?

To: [email removed]
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 08:59:58 -0800
Subject: Re: Is SLK compatible with MS LCDS SCORM packages? [SLK:58055]

Tom, just one question: have you ever read this thread? :)
avlg wrote:
Read the full discussion online.
To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (SLK@discussions.codeplex.com)
To start a new discussion for this project, email SLK@discussions.codeplex.com
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.
Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Hotmail: Powerful Free email with security by Microsoft. Get it now.
Dec 14, 2009 at 5:38 PM

Yes, I'm and mariorcm still waiting for a patch! We both know how to create SCORM-compatible package with LCDS. We both tried to create English-only packages, SLK runs them well. The issue arrise only when we add non-English characters into course,

Feb 18, 2010 at 3:12 PM

Hi,

We are have a problem using LCDS and SLK 1.4 together in english ; it almost works but kills an IE 6 Browser if we use a Drag and Drop type question; has anyone else experienced this issue ?

Could i confirm that the only thing we should do is to zip up the contents (not the direct itself) from courses folder from under C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Learning\Courses\<Course Title>\Course directory and then upload this zipfile into the document library within Sharepoint ?

Many Thanks

John

Mar 25, 2010 at 5:07 AM

I find solution!

How to do this without any patches and it`s very simple!

For all language that use non english letters.

I creat my SCORM`s whith LCDS enu 2.4

after saving go to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft Learning\LCDS\courses\"course name(имя курса)"

just rename all files seems like 0001_Модуль1.xml to 0001.xml,

right click on imsmanifest.xml press edit and in notepad change ext param

<resource identifier="RESOURCE_0" type="webcontent" href="default.html#0001_модуль_1" adlcp:scormtype="sco"><file href="0001_модуль_1.xml"/><file href="media/homepage.jpg"/><dependency identifierref="DEPENDENCY_RESOURCE"/>

<resource identifier="RESOURCE_0" type="webcontent" href="default.html#0001" adlcp:scormtype="sco"><file href="0001.xml"/><file href="media/homepage.jpg"/><dependency identifierref="DEPENDENCY_RESOURCE"/>

after that save that file

and now you can creat zip file and add it to SLK library.

thats all.

a little later i upload a litle program that do this solution automatic.

p.s. sorry for my bad english))

Igor