Dont want to use the SLK Permissions

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Jun 3, 2009 at 11:57 AM

Hello Guys,

Today i installed SLK on our testservers again. Everything should work, but we dont want to use the SLK permissions (Instructor & Co.).
Is there a possibilty to configure our own permissions? I noticed, that the permissons are empty -> i think SLK just checks the "name" of a permission an gives you then the appropriate right.

Thank you

Coordinator
Jun 3, 2009 at 8:04 PM

They are completely configurable. You can set them to whatever you want them to be when you configure the SLK support for a site collection within SharePoint Central Administration.

Richard

SLK Co-ordinator

http://blog.salamandersoft.co.uk

Jun 4, 2009 at 10:56 AM

Okay found it and changed it.

Now i can use "E-Learning Actions" to submit my Courses. But when iam doing it it says: You're not a teacher on this site.
Maybe because my Account is a SLK Instructor,Learner and Observer?

Anyone got a clue?

Coordinator
Jun 5, 2009 at 9:31 AM

You need to have the permission role for instructor which you set up in central admin on the site that you are assigning the work to, not just the site you are assigning it from.

Jun 5, 2009 at 10:34 AM
Edited Jun 5, 2009 at 10:36 AM

Maybe i am getting it wrong...

I think i have to explain what i did. 
in the cenral adminstration i changed the SLK Instructor permission to our group :Portal_Admins. The SLK Learner permisson i set on our group:Portal_Users. The SLK Observer i used the Portal_Admins group too.

My Useraccount in our Sharepoint Portal "admin_x" is in the group Portal_Admins AND in Portal_Users. When i now try to assign it i am getting that error. 
To your reply: I dont know, why i shouldnt be "Portal_Admins" -> "SLK Instructor" on the E-Learning-Site that i just created?

With regards
Niko

Coordinator
Jun 5, 2009 at 12:58 PM

The permissions names you set up in central admin were the names of NEW roles to create in SharePoint, not Active Directory groups. If you go to assign permissions for a site you will now see roles which are called Portal_Admins etc. This is going to be confusing to your users, so I would suggest reverting to the standard names, SLK Instructor etc.

To be an instructor on a site, you must be in the SharePoint role (created in central admin) on that site. You can do it through AD groups if you give that AD group the role on the site, but you cannot just be in an AD group and get instructor permissions. Someone needs t say who is an instructor (and pupil) on the sites by assigning those SharePoint roles.

Jun 5, 2009 at 2:23 PM

Hmm,

i dont understand this sentence : To be an instructor on a site, you must be in the SharePoint role (created in central admin) on that site. You can do it through AD groups if you give that AD group the role on the site, but you cannot just be in an AD group and get instructor permissions. 
isnt it possible to use exisiting role like "read" for SLK Learner? 

Thank you very much for your support
Niko

Jun 5, 2009 at 5:47 PM

Read would just give you access to Read content on the site.

The SLK roles are to grant permissions to the SLK web parts/application etc.

Jun 9, 2009 at 12:07 PM

Hi,

@natebell i know what the SLK roles are about. But when you set the SLK roles (in central admin) to existing roles like "read" / "full access", somebody with read role/permisson has the SLK permisson or not? You know what i mean? I created my own roles in central admin under slk configuration. Then i checked them in Sharepoint and saw, that they are empty. So my guess was that, the SLK just double checks whether he has the the role "SLK Instructor" or what ever you set it.

For me, i dont want to have different role's in my Sharepoint, just the exisiting. And therefore i tried to use the "read" role als learner and "full access(i dont know if its called like that in the english version of sharepoint -> German: Vollzugriff".

Furthermore i have another problem with it...i just tried it with the standard role's and i didnt work. Iam getting this error in my serverlog:

i read that this is a error and you are about to fix it? is that right?

SharePoint Learning Kit Fehler
System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectory.ActiveDirectoryObjectNotFoundException: Die angegebene Domäne ist nicht vorhanden oder kann nicht kontaktiert werden.
   bei System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectory.Domain.GetDomain(DirectoryContext context)

Jun 9, 2009 at 4:09 PM

your english is better than my german!

I think I know what you are trying to do, but I'm not sure that it will work like that.

You would like anyone who is Read, to have the SLK Learner permission, and anyone with Full Access to have the SLK Instructor permission.  To do this you put Read and Full Access into the configuration screen.

After you saved those settings do  you actually see two new permissions called Read and Full Access, it might have just created new ones with the same name as the built in permissions.

Perhaps Richard can shed some light on this?  I'll see if I can mimmick what you are trying to do.

Jun 9, 2009 at 4:56 PM

it seemed to work for me.  instead of creating the permissions, i just used the existing Read for SLK Learner

Jun 10, 2009 at 7:41 AM

"your english is better than my german!"
Thanks Nate =)

So you just configured the SLK Permissions in the central admin. right? Under Learner Permisson you put in "read" -> furthermore you have NOT checked the box "create permissions" right?

I am trying it again right now =) Maybe im luckey ;P

Thanks anyway Nate -> you doing me a big favor

Jun 10, 2009 at 7:59 AM

Now i changed the SLK Learner to "read" and the SLK Teacher to "SLK Teacher". I assigned the SLK Teacher to our Portal-Admins Group via Site Actions -> Users and Groups -> and so on
All our "NT AUTHORITY\authenticated users" are in the Group _Portal_Users -> They have all the role "read" -> so they have permission for the SLK

No problems until now, but now when iam assiging a Course to my E-Learning Site i get this error (No Problem when i assign it to my self by the way):
SharePoint Learning Kit Fehler
System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectory.ActiveDirectoryObjectNotFoundException: Die angegebene Domäne ist nicht vorhanden oder kann nicht kontaktiert werden.
   bei System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectory.Domain.GetDomain(DirectoryContext context)