SLK + Firefox

Jun 3, 2009 at 6:11 PM
Edited Jun 3, 2009 at 6:23 PM

I have read a lot of posts on to do with this and have installed 1.3.1 +firefox patch and am still having problems with users looking at the actual assignments. We have received a load of training SKORMs from Microsoft as part of an enterprise agreement and I have loaded them into Sharepoint\ SLK. They all display great in IE but we are a Firefox site and I need to get them working in Firefox.  I have not used the Basic webplayer as I don't want to loose the functionality of SLK but if that is the *only* way then that is what I will have to do.

Any help would be great an image of what our users are seeing has been linked below. I will monitor this post closely so if I have failed at giving enough information please ask and I will reply quickly

http://i44.tinypic.com/23sfdbk.jpg

Thanks

Richard

Coordinator
Jun 3, 2009 at 8:02 PM

Hi Richard,

Looking at the image it looks like the content itself doesn't support Firefox. The bit where there's a blue header and footer, with loading showing, is actually in an iframe within the frameset. SLK (and basic web player) is responsible for loading the content within that frame, but not processing it as such. Without getting my hands on the content and taking it apart, I would say that that content itself is in frames and is loading the sub-frames (is there such a word?) in a way which is not Firefox compatible.

Richard

SLK Co-ordinator

http://blog.salamandersoft.co.uk

Jun 3, 2009 at 10:41 PM
Edited Jun 3, 2009 at 10:43 PM

So really without someone taking it apart bit by bit and redoing the content I am not going to get this working in Firefox? Its a Skorm directly from Microsoft and to be fair they are been quite willing to talk about Firefox and how to improve direcly with sharepoint but they are not with the SLK which I also understand. I suppose I am just looking for clarity of the issue so I can report back to my managers.

Do you think it would be worth going over the content and seeing if its reworkable?

Thanks

Richard

Coordinator
Jun 5, 2009 at 9:26 AM

Try unpacking the zip file and try opening the content with IE and then Firefox. That should hopefully let you see if there is a difference.

Jun 5, 2009 at 9:50 AM

They both look the same until I enable the active X controls in IE. Once the activeX controls are enabled it looks fine all the content is dislayed and so is the videos etc. Interesting that it look exacly like firefox without them. Maybe I could look at getting the activeX control to work in firefox?

Thanks

Richard

Coordinator
Jun 5, 2009 at 12:51 PM

Firefox does not support Active X controls. http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Activex. It's one of the main advantages of it!

If MS is using Active X in the content, I don't think that there's anything you can do about it.

Jul 22, 2009 at 11:39 AM

I am also facing the same problem.. The Scorm course is loading perfectly in IE browser whereas Mozilla and other browser does not load the course.
I conclude from the above discussion that IE supports ActiveX Control and Mozilla does not. But I will be happy if there is any fix for this issue.
I tried to install Netscape Plugin Application Programming Interface (NPAPI) as it performs functions similar to those of ActiveX, but I was unsuccessful.
I would like to know if there is any alternate solution for this problem?
How should I install NPAPI? 

Hi all,

I am also facing the same problem.. The Scorm course is loading perfectly in IE browser whereas Mozilla and other browser does not load the course.

I conclude from the above discussion that IE supports ActiveX Control and Mozilla does not. But I will be happy if there is any fix for this issue.

I tried to install Netscape Plugin Application Programming Interface (NPAPI) as it performs functions similar to those of ActiveX, but I was unsuccessful.

I would like to know if there is any alternate solution for this problem?

How should I install NPAPI? 

Thanks and Regards,

Raja.S