capturing the time it takes a user to take a course

Topics: Developer Forum
Jun 5, 2009 at 2:55 PM

This may be a beginner question, or not even related to the SLK.

I need to be able to track how long it takes a user to go through a given SCORM course.

We need to be able to report against that and have averages, and compare the user to the average.

Is this data that the SCORM material can provide, would I then need to capture it?

Thanks,
Nate

Coordinator
Jun 10, 2009 at 8:36 PM

Hi Nate,

That information is stored in the AttemptItem table, but there's not currently a way to display it.

The reporting is severly lacking in SLK at the moment and needs a lot of work doing on it.

Richard

SLK Co-ordinator

http://blog.salamandersoft.co.uk

Jun 11, 2009 at 3:57 PM

does this also include the information as to which slide they left off on in a given SCORM package?  I thought that I read that it did, but when I tested it, it didn't seem like it returned me to the right slide.

Jun 11, 2009 at 4:21 PM

It does keep track of which slide I left off on, but is this only if they 'save' what if they just close the window?

does it keep track of time for each slide?

Jun 12, 2009 at 2:52 PM

You can do this in SCORM by setting cmi.location.  What you'd want to do is set it everytime the user changes pages if possible.  Then make your content read cmi.location and go to that location when the package is started.

You can also keep track of the time the user spends by setting cmi.session_time for the whole package, and you could use cmi.interactions.0.latency to break down a presentation into specific interactions.

But like Richard points out, there are not reports in the SLK to view these values.

Jun 12, 2009 at 3:54 PM

at least I could create a report to see this data as it is in the SLK datastore.