Assigning Packages of Content

Topics: Developer Forum
Aug 2, 2006 at 6:55 PM
Hey guys,

I have a scenario that I need to enable for the Sharepoint solution I am building using the SLK.

The scenario is this:

We have administrators and trainers who will need to be able to easily assign “deliveries” to groups of students and manage those deliveries. These deliveries are basically curriculums (that our group defines) made up of a bunch of different-types of content that the student must work through in order to complete training. In the reports that we deliver, we need to be able to show who completed what deliveries, when they completed it, and be able to drill down to the individual eLearning assignments within to look at scores, etc.

Ideally we would like to have:

A delivery builder page – Build a list of content in a delivery (from files stored in DocLibs) and specify an instructor, start date, end date and points total.

A delivery assignment page – Similar to the eLearning actions page, but for the delivery instead of single assignment.

A delivery management page – View/change properties of a delivery.

(All of this implies that the delivery is tracked in the database which would allow us to report on the delivery)

So, I realize that this is very similar to a class-type of paradigm and know that that is out of the scope of the SLK project. However, I imagine that many users are going to have similar needs to do assignments in batch and manage those batches.

I would be very interested to hear your thoughts on whether this can be accomplished using the SLK framework and a high-level overview of how you could see this scenario implemented.

-Nick MSFT
Aug 2, 2006 at 9:13 PM
Hi Nick,

I think what you are describing is possible, but will require changes to the schema and additions to the core SLK UI and functionality. The SLK API can be used to batch assign, but tracking and sequencing a curriculum of several assignments would require some changes/additions.

The SLK schema is an extension of the base MLC schema, and a nice feature of MLC is the schema compiler, which makes it easier to do this extension. In your case it sounds like your application would include most if not all the SLK functionality, so you would likely modify the SLK schema definition and recompile it with your additions.

-Mark
Feb 12, 2008 at 10:52 PM

Mark and Nick,

This is capability that I would be very much interested in seeing implemented. We have been using SLK since the initial release, and currently have over 1,000 learners and two courses. One course consists of 30 content packages (15 with lessons, 15 with exams). There's one Assignment for each exam and lesson. The problems we face:

1. It's time consuming to make 30 entries, especially when it takes up to 60 seconds to populate the learner list with over 1000 learners (at least we use a security group to simplify somewhat).
  2. A human has to determine whether or not all 15 exams were completed with a passing score to determine whether or not the employee should be certified.
  3. Creating course variation with very large content packages is infeasible (lots of Flash content - we develop using Captivate 3 for lessons and RapidExam for evaluations). Results within an assignment wouldn't be shared in a smart fashion outside of the CP. E.g. If I pass module 8 in one curriculum, and am assigned a year later to another curriculum, the assignment wouldn't show me as having already completed module 8.

Are there any plans or enhancement requests out already to provide a capability to:
  1. define curriculum
  2. associate two or more assignments with a curriculum
  3. report on learner's status (which assignments in the curriculum not started/in progress/completed
  4. report on scores for each exam in a curriculum
  5. identify when curriculum is completed
  6. identify when a curriculum expires (e.g. by date, by percentage of new content added since certified)
  7. allow an assignment to keep its data when a new version of the CP is uploaded (course content does need refreshing, and currently SLK/WSS version control doesn't extend to Assignments and we've got to either rekey everything or export that data to a data warehouse.

Finally, our ISD effort has been heavy on SCORM 2004 but not necessarily on IMS standards. Are there any IMS standards that I should review that would help architect a curriculum in terms of eLearning delivery tools and standards?

Thanks!
Tom Swider
Coordinator
Mar 10, 2008 at 10:56 PM
It sounds like the scenario is feasible, though it would require the addition of new database tables to manage the concept of 'group of assignments' because this isn't in the SLK schema today.

You should be able to layer support for this on top of SLK without making breaking changes to the schema. I'd suggest we file this as a suggestion and start to get the concept fleshed out.
Coordinator
Mar 10, 2008 at 11:33 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.