extending SLK

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum
Jun 11, 2009 at 10:26 PM

I need to add a lot of functionality to what the SLK offers.

The more I read the documentation the more I think that extending the schema is what I need to do.  However, through reading on the forum here I found that the schema is no longer easily extendable because of the lack of the schema compiler. 

My question is: do I need to forget using the SLK and just roll my own app and use the MLC/SLK tools just for SCORM compliance or manually extend the SLK, or have a hybrid system that has extra data to live along side the SLK?

My preference would be to extend the SLK schema to include my additional functionality, but if that is not going to be possible I'll have to create a custom app that uses the SCORM compliance only.

Any advice from the experts would be appreciated.

Coordinator
Jun 13, 2009 at 7:36 PM

What is it that you'd like to do?

Richard

SLK Co-ordinator

http://blog.salamandersoft.co.uk

Jun 15, 2009 at 4:00 PM

I am going to create my own store of courses, but I'll use the MLC/SLK to store the SCORM data.

Where is the API reference located for the MLC/SLK?

I have found some documentation in the source code, but some of the links in those documents are missing.

Coordinator
Jun 15, 2009 at 9:18 PM

Have a look at the Basic Web Player under root/Samples/Basic Web Player for ideas. This is a stand alone implementation which uses the core Learning Components for the player, but uses its own database and storage. I know of several people who have used this as the basis for their own implementation.

There's some documentation at root/ApiRef. I don't know how up to date it is. There some good stuff in root/doc/Source Code/Specification.

Jun 15, 2009 at 11:54 PM

As long as the basic web player gets me the SCORM info (last slide, time taken for slides, etc) then I can use that.