SLK slow to load large SCORM packages

Topics: User Forum
Jun 16, 2009 at 4:53 PM
Edited Jun 16, 2009 at 4:54 PM

I have an 80MB SCORM package exported from a commercial provider (Hodder Education - Dyanmic Learning) which has a large number of sections/chapters(?). When I try to run through SLK it takes 30 secs to load the cotent, then another 30 secs to browse from one section/chapter to another. The same package opens in moodle in a second. If I open the 50mb(ish) MS ProductivityProgrammes SCORM package it loads quickly in SLK; this package only has one chapter/section. Is there an issue with running large SCORM packages in SLK? Thanks

Runnking SLK 1.3.1 on WSS3 SP1.

Coordinator
Jun 23, 2009 at 9:15 AM

Does it take the same length of time on subsequent runs? I know that the package is unpacked the first time it's accessed and then cached so it's going to be slower the first time - Moodle may well unpack it when it's loaded. Then again it shouldn't take 30 secs to browse between sections if that's the problem.

Richard

SLK Co-ordinator

http://blog.salamandersoft.co.uk

Jun 23, 2009 at 3:12 PM

Hi Richard,

No it takes the same amount of time each time.

Jun 24, 2009 at 4:57 PM

I have a similar experience...an elearning package of 250Mb and I have several versions of it.

The system always keeps cached 2-3 versions, but it doesn't seem to matter. Everytime a user accesses an assignment it starts loading (some times it may take up to 5'). 

This is because as I see, the system tries to uncompress the whole package again and again.

In moodle, the package remains cached in one single directory and it does not seem to recache everytime

Jul 8, 2009 at 12:54 PM

I have the same issue. In some cases it takes longer then 30sec , is there a size limitations for scorm packages which should be used with SLK , I have been asked to put some BBC active stuff on VLE which is arround 650MB . I have tried with a 200MB package but its slow and students have reported error messages. when trying to use it.

Dec 30, 2009 at 12:25 PM

Just wondered whether anyone had noticed improved performance in 1.4 in respect of this of this issue?

Coordinator
Jan 11, 2010 at 11:44 PM
Edited Jan 11, 2010 at 11:44 PM

1.4 hasn't touched upon this area.

Richard

SLK Co-ordinator

http://blog.salamandersoft.co.uk