SLK Configuration Issues

Topics: Developer Forum
Jul 22, 2009 at 10:19 PM

I apologize in advance if this has been covered, but I am unable to find a valid solution.

During SLK configuration, I'm encountering "Cannot open database "SharePoint Learning Kit" requested by the login. The login failed. Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE'. My WSS install uses the Embedded SQL, but I have since installed Express hoping to get the SLK up and running. Can anyone list each location in which permissions must be changed, as I have tried many of the bits-and-pieces solutions scattered throughout the forums.

Also, is it possible that the existing embedded database will prevent me from using SQL 2005 Express to configure the SLK?

Any help is greatly appreciated, as I'm already in a bit over my head! Thanks!

Jul 31, 2009 at 4:38 PM

I'm having the same problem too...  Thanks in advance to anyone who can lend us a hand here.  Much appreciated.

Coordinator
Aug 4, 2009 at 2:21 AM

You need to give NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE permissions on the instance which Express installed to log in and create databases. Easiest way would be to use Sql Server Express Management Studio.

Incidentally best practice for running SharePoint is to use a dedicated domain account for the application pool rather than the default network service.

Richard

SLK Co-ordinator

http://blog.salamandersoft.co.uk

Aug 4, 2009 at 1:44 PM

Not knowing any better, I did set this up using the Network Service. Does anyone have a best practices for switching sharepoint from the Network Service to a dedicated domain account?

Thanks,

Jeff

Aug 5, 2009 at 4:07 PM

That’s the ticket, replacing the file worked perfectly. Any idea how this file got corrupted in the first place?

Glad to be up and running. Thanks,

Jeff