How to make assignments?

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Jul 30, 2009 at 11:41 AM

I was recommended SLK for developing learning resources in our company. And I successfully installed/set up (after 12 hours, with several hilarious additions to my collection of funny error messages) the configuration mentioned on the SLK home page:

• Download & Install Virtual PC 2007
  • Download & Run Windows Server 2003 R2 VPC Image
  • Download & Install SQL Server 2005 Express in the VPC
  • Download & Install SLK in the VPC

With the SLK demo, there was an example assignment, "Solitaire", which worked fine.

But what tools do I use to make my own assignments? This site, Microsoft.com and Google seem to be cleansed of all knowledge regarding the making of assignments. I am really sorry if it turns out to be really simple, but I need help finding resources for this.

My search has lead me to assume that maybe Microsoft Office SharePoint Designer has something to do with it, but not even in the help file for that application could I find anything of interest.

Can someone help me?

Jul 31, 2009 at 3:09 PM

Try HunterStone's THESIS product. (http://www.getthesis.com) It allows you to easily create courses from Microsoft Office (PowerPoint, Word, etc.) and add tests/assessments.

-Todd

Aug 1, 2009 at 6:41 PM

With the HunterStone tool you have the ability to pretty much take anything you can present on the web in a browser and package to SCORM - and build a course with the learning object manager piece...

Aug 2, 2009 at 12:00 PM

Try AuthorExpert  . It is s a desktop authoring tool designed to help creating interactive e-learning content in a short time and reduced cost. Main features are:  
•    Pre-designed content templates
•    Content outline generator
•    The ability to embed word documents, PowerPoint presentations, images, videos, multimedia files, audio narration or graphical annotation into your content.
•    The ability to include questions into your content where 10 question types are supported an can be stored in the question banks for re-use.
•    Designed with Office 2007-like interface as such entails a zero-learning curve for end users.
•    SCORM Compliant and tested against SLK and Moodle

Coordinator
Aug 4, 2009 at 2:26 AM

SharePoint designer is for modifying SharePoint pages not creating courses.

Do a search for SCORM editor to find lots of course creation tools. They all vary in ease of use, comprehensiveness and look and feel. In addition to the 2 commercial ones mentioned above, Microsoft LCDS is a free one which I've had good reports about.

SCORM is a complex standard and there's only so much a tool can do to hide this from your users who need to create courses. I don't believe that there will ever be a tool with a zero-learning curve.

Richard

SLK Co-ordinator

http://blog.salamandersoft.co.uk

Aug 4, 2009 at 7:51 AM

Thank you all for the valuable input.

Can Lawson's Learnig Accelerator be used?