Extending/Customizing SLK Visual Studio

Topics: Developer Forum
Sep 11, 2015 at 9:23 PM
I have installed and configured SLK in SharePoint 2010 environment and tested most of the functionalities and I am at the point that would like to change the look and feel like header changes (Assignment to Course) as well as add some more functionalities like creating a custom Query Set and mostly creating some reports and dash boarding

I know project is not a SharePoint project in term of projects category in Visual Studio and not built using Visual Studio (based on thread 572099), but how can I find all pieces and then how to package them in Visual Studio or outside that

Thanks for your help in advance
Coordinator
Sep 14, 2015 at 10:02 AM
Have a look at slk.proj in the root of the project. This is the file used to build the project. Look at the Release targets. This calls the Release targets in the LearningComponents\LearningComponents.proj and slk\slk.proj. You can then trace if further down.

In terms of C# code, there's several projects under LearningComponents which contain the core fundamentals (packages, database access etc, base SharePoint access). Then there's another project specific to SharePoint which contains all the SharePoint components (web parts etc) at slk/dll/slkdll.csproj.

All the individual projects files are csproj files so with a bit of tweaking could load in Visual Studio.

Note, a new Query Set is purely configuration and would be added to slksettings.xml via the SharePoint Learning Kit configuration page in Central Admin.

Richard
SLK Coordinator
http://blog.salamandersoft.co.uk
Sep 15, 2015 at 11:13 PM
Hi Richard,

Thanks for your help, I was able to make some changes to the web part, compile it and deploy it using the MSBuild although I got couple of error messages for duplicate declaration of some properties which I had to comment them out and built was successful

is that expected?

for example I was getting this error message:
c:\Temp\SharePointLearningKit\SourceCode\slk-ccc0f6f2cbed\slk_ccc0f6f2cbed\Slk\
Dll\Properties\FramesetResources.Designer.cs(25,20): error CS0101: The namespac
e 'Resources' already contains a definition for 'FramesetResources' [C:\Temp\Sh
arePointLearningKit\SourceCode\slk-ccc0f6f2cbed\slk_ccc0f6f2cbed\slk\dll\slkdll
.csproj]

then i commented out below section in "SlkDll.csproj" under ROOT\sl\dll\ as it was duplicated and it built successfully

<Compile Include="....\samples\basicwebplayer\app_globalresources\FramesetResources.Designer.cs">
  <Link>FramesetResources.Designer.cs</Link>
  <AutoGen>True</AutoGen>
  <DesignTime>True</DesignTime>
  <DependentUpon>FramesetResources.resx</DependentUpon>
</Compile>
Please confirm if my approach is acceptable

Thanks
Coordinator
Sep 21, 2015 at 11:54 AM
Sounds about right. Visual Studio is compiling the resources which have already been done and in the source code in my build code.
Sep 25, 2015 at 5:30 PM
Thank Richard for clarification

We are very happy with SLK 1.8 and meets most of our business requirements except the reporting section, basically what I learned so far is that each web part can have it's own query as learner or instructor and can either show a single site content or roll up of contents in several site in a tree. if anything more is available please let me know
Also I know that we can add remove columns to web part using XML and also change column labels using code, but have not tried creating new query and if I do how can I present them in an application page and not inside the web part?

While I was searching for option online noticed that some companies use an Ad-On called BDLC (Business Data List Connector) which is a paid product, but would like to find out if that is the best option we have at this time or there are better alternatives which works well with SLK

Is there any open source ad-on for reporting section or any suggestions in where to start building one for SLK?

please let me know if you have experienced that

cheers