1.4 pdf's fail with embedded fonts

Topics: User Forum
Aug 28, 2009 at 11:02 PM
Edited Aug 29, 2009 at 3:48 AM

Most of the pdf's that shipped with 1.4 patch fail to show information, nothing but white pages with occasional numbering of pages. I will get an error stating the embedded fonts could not be extracted. (using Adobe Acrobat 8.1.4) 

Tried a fresh install using MLG and 1.4 (used 1.3.1 to install the 64bit wsp), but it still has the old feel with the planner web page with a could not load MSsharepointlearningkit, assignment webpart not available, and no drop box in sight. (Planner fixed for now-had to add the mail server to the trusted zone- I'm not using ISA)

I guessing I now need to step through the process of updating it to 1.4.  The "Getting Started" pdf tends to lean towards the wss environment, so I hope the other pdfs would bring in more light, so only armed with the limited readme(s) things are going a bit slow. I can't see how Office 10/Sharepoint 10 combined with Seimbios (sp?) will be able to make it to the students' desktop.  I guess all dress up and ready to go, but the taxi never comes. School started last week and it's a little crazy with the 1:1 laptop-"actually educational "(thanks N.N.) program. bit of a vent.

Murray

Check out the www.ted.com with Nicholas Negroponte passion about learning in Colombia. The last few words makes ya think.

Aug 29, 2009 at 12:37 AM
Edited Aug 29, 2009 at 12:49 AM

Thinking out loud.

I've come across a file in "SLK 1.4 - Part 3\UpgradeFromSLK131ToSLK14" slksettings in xml format, can I place this in the "configure sharepoint learning kit" found in the Application Managment in MOSS? There is a section at the bottom titled "slk settings" that takes a xml format file inwhich one can browse to the file.

I've updated to Adobe reader 9.1, still no luck with reading the other pdf's.

I've read the readme about using visual studio and building many files and then adding them. Being not a coder, I'm hoping the adding the new slk settings in the gui would be enough. But if I need to learn more, I'm in this for the long haul.

Hopefully this might help someone as they pass me lying on the road...

Murray

Aug 29, 2009 at 1:34 AM

After updating the language packs in the Adobe reader, still no go on information being available. Is it possible for the docs in "SLK 1.4 - Part 1\SourceCode - Part1\Doc\SourceCode\Specifications" could be checked and reposted.  Looks like some good stuff there, but it's hard to judge a book by its cover when all is blank.  Back to Pondering.

Murray