CM 1.4 - "No Data Found"

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Sep 2, 2009 at 11:24 PM

On the Plan and Assign and Monitor and Assess pages, I'm getting "No Data Found":

Plan and Assign

No Data Found

SLK Activities

For your reference, this section displays activities created using the SLK. They are read-only.

No Data Found

Ideas?

Sep 3, 2009 at 3:25 AM

I have the same problem in our production environment (farm). Our development environment (single box) works fine. Are you able to confirm that your install is also a farm install (multiple Front End Servers)?

Do you also get a "There was no value in the registry. Please verify in the registry and try again" error on the Plan and Assign page?

Just trying to look for someone with similar symptoms.

Cheers

Justin

Sep 3, 2009 at 4:39 PM

Yes, it is a multiple-WFE scenario.  I've been modifying the site's web.config by hand and also had to include the <connectionStrings> element per the CourseManagerConfigCs project.

Sep 3, 2009 at 11:33 PM

Great, thanks. Are you able to post a sample of what you have used in the connectionStrings element - excluding any sensitive data of course.

Are you now in a working state with course manager?

Cheers

Oct 7, 2009 at 9:25 PM

No, it doesn't work unfortunately.  But here is what I put in the web.config:

<connectionStrings>
     <add name="Shared"
         connectionString="Data Source=SERVER;Initial Catalog=CourseManager;Integrated Security=SSPI;Timeout=120;"
         providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />
        <add name="SLKCM"
         connectionString="Data Source=SERVER;Initial Catalog=CourseManager;Integrated Security=SSPI;Timeout=120;"
         providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />
  </connectionStrings>

Oct 14, 2009 at 1:00 PM

I am having this exact same problem with both web parts (Plan and Assign and Monitor and Asess).

Did anyone find out what is wrong or how to fix?

Thanks

Oct 18, 2009 at 5:25 PM

I am having same problem too. I have two environments, test and production. The test environment works with one account that has all required permissions and one stand alone server. The production environment has three servers on a farm. The problem does not exist on the test environment. When I trace the database through SQL profiler, I see more SQL transactions on my test environment than the production environment. I think the production is missing a control or a library that was not deployed properly on the farm. I'm still trying to fix the problem ... 

Oct 22, 2009 at 10:39 PM
Edited Oct 22, 2009 at 10:41 PM

In addition to the Web.Configs you also have to duplicate the Registry keys that get created for each class site - and place them in the registry on all front end servers... (I'm building an automated process to do same - but now it's manual...)

You'll find the keys at  HKLM\Software\SLKCourseManager\Settings ... These contain the data source connection strings as well as the class SiteGuids that are needed for mapping...

Also - "No data found" can also mean that the sharepoint service account doesn't have rights to the database (badly worded error message).

Butch...

Oct 23, 2009 at 4:57 AM

What do I miss in HKLM\Software\SLKCourseManager\Settings? right now I have:

Sharedd7f8350f-ffdd-4f7d-8d81-efd8d7625c22

SLKCMd7f8350f-ffdd-4f7d-8d81-efd8d7625c22

and in the config file I have:

<add key="WebSiteGUID" value="d7f8350f-ffdd-4f7d-8d81-efd8d7625c22" />

Oct 23, 2009 at 4:40 PM
Edited Oct 23, 2009 at 4:41 PM

ynabil - do you have the registry keys and the web config entries on all front end servers in your farm?

I'm assuming you have all the other / related web.config entries on all front end servers as well... all the app config settings (in addition to WebSiteGUID) ... etc...

And - you've confirmed that your sharepoint service account has access to the SQL server?

Finally - check your event log for this error:

Machine : <var style="-webkit-box-sizing: border-box">ServerName</var>
Product : Client Components
Error : Failed to install and configure assemblies C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\NotificationServices\9.0.242\Bin\microsoft.sqlserver.notificationservices.dll in the COM+ catalog.
Error: -2146233087
Error message: Unknown error 0x80131501
Error description: The Transaction Manager is not available. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8004D01B)

If you find that then you need to configure your servers per this article - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940971

Oct 23, 2009 at 9:31 PM

Hi haroldpgray, first thanks for your reply.

Yes, I have the registry and web config entries on the two front end servers as well.

Here is my appsettings:

<appSettings>
    <add key="AzmanApplication" value="MyApplication" />
    <add key="AzmanStore" value="msldap://CN=AZMAN DEMO2,CN=Program Data,DC=guayabo" />
    <add key="EnableSecurity" value="false" />
    <add key="FeedCacheTime" value="300" />
    <add key="FeedPageUrl" value="/_layouts/feed.aspx?" />
    <add key="FeedXsl1" value="/Style Library/Xsl Style Sheets/Rss.xsl" />
    <add key="ReportViewerMessages" value="Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal.Analytics.UI.ReportViewerMessages, Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal, Version=12.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c" />
    <add key="WebSiteGUID" value="d7f8350f-ffdd-4f7d-8d81-efd8d7625c22" />
  </appSettings>

Do I miss any entry?

I gave sharepoint service account to sysadmin role in order fot it to create the course manager tables, otherwise it just creates the database.

I did not find this error message on my event log.

Thanks

Oct 24, 2009 at 3:08 PM

Ynabli

I’d recommend you begin by assuming the FARM is comprised of one server and get that to work.. To ensure you client machine connects to the proper front end - configure the HOSTS file on the client machine to point to a specific front end server.

Then run a simple test – connect to the Plan and Assign page on one of your classes. Check the SharePoint logs in the 12 hive C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\LOGS and search for Errors. You should see entries relating to “CourseManagerPages” in the log… You’ll also see the “Current user before SqlConnection.Open” – and other SQL Connection entries… Since you’re getting an error you should also see an error condition… What does that say?

Also – check the event log on your SQL server for the same time you accessed the Plan and Assign page – any errors there?

Also – for completeness - confirm that the tables are getting created in the Course Manager database?

Oct 25, 2009 at 1:38 AM

I changed the host on the client machine to look at one specific front end and checked the log. No single entry has “CourseManagerPages” in the log file. Here is the log at the time I clicked "Plan and assign":

Windows SharePoint Services log file                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
Creating reg key "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Web Server Extensions\All Ports" 
Primary Domain = ORNGE, Computer Name = ORNGE-MOSS-WFE2 
#20015: Cannot open "SLK.en-US.resx": no such file or folder. 
(#2: Cannot open "SLK.en-US.resx": no such file or folder.) 
Failed to open the language resource keyfile SLK. 
#20015: Cannot open "SLK.en-US.resx": no such file or folder. 
(#2: Cannot open "SLK.en-US.resx": no such file or folder.) 
Failed to open the language resource keyfile SLK. 
Failed to look up string with key "XomlUrl", keyfile core. 
Localized resource for token 'XomlUrl' could not be found for file with path: "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\Template\Features\Fields\fieldswss.xml". 
Failed to look up string with key "RulesUrl", keyfile core. 
Localized resource for token 'RulesUrl' could not be found for file with path: "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\Template\Features\Fields\fieldswss.xml". 
Starting shared object cache refresh timer with an interval of 0 seconds. 
Shared object cache refresh timer started. 
Adding new shared object store for connection 'Server=MOSSSQL;Database=SharedServices01_DB;Trusted_Connection=yes;App=Windows SharePoint Services;Timeout=15'. 
Cached shared object store for connection 'Server=MOSSSQL;Database=SharedServices01_DB;Trusted_Connection=yes;App=Windows SharePoint Services;Timeout=15'. 
Initialized new shared object cache at version 797. 
Initializing portal application domain '/LM/W3SVC/1870857702/Root-1-129009030926362907'. 
An Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchDataAccessServiceInstance object is referencing the Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchServerSkuType, Microsoft.Office.Server.Search, Version=12.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c type, which cannot be located on the server, ORNGE-MOSS-WFE2.  This is expected if the the type has been uninstalled.  If the type is only be available on another machine, this object should not be updated on this machine.  If it is, all values with the named type will be set to null and the old value will be stored in the UpgradedPersistedFields collection under the Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchServerSkuType, Microsoft.Office.Server.Search, Version=12.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce1...
...11e9429c key.   
An Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchDataAccessServiceInstance object is referencing the Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchServerSkuType, Microsoft.Office.Server.Search, Version=12.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c type, which cannot be located on the server, ORNGE-MOSS-WFE2.  This is expected if the the type has been uninstalled.  If the type is only be available on another machine, this object should not be updated on this machine.  If it is, all values with the named type will be set to null and the old value will be stored in the UpgradedPersistedFields collection under the Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchServerSkuType, Microsoft.Office.Server.Search, Version=12.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce1...
...11e9429c key.   
...11e9429c key.   
Topology cache updated. (AppDomain: /LM/W3SVC/1870857702/Root-1-129009030926362907) 
Initialized portal topology cache for application domain '/LM/W3SVC/1870857702/Root-1-129009030926362907' 
Portal application domain '/LM/W3SVC/1870857702/Root-1-129009030926362907' initialized. 
SearchBoxEx AfterDeserialize begin 
SearchBoxEx AfterDeserialize end 
ExcelServerRegionalSettings.GetInstalledUICultures: Retrieving the list of currently installed UI cultures. 
ExcelServerRegionalSettings.GetInstalledUICultures: Retrieved the following installed UI cultures: en-US 
Constructing PortalSiteMapProvider 
'SharedServices01', scope cache: creating 
SQL: dbo.proc_MSS_ScopeCacheGetChangedConsumers 0 
'SharedServices01', consumer scope cache '00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000': creating 
SQL: dbo.proc_MSS_ScopeCacheGetChanges 'shared' 
PublishingHttpModule.Init() calling AppDomainUnloadListener.Register() 
AppDomainUnloadListener.RegisterSelf() entered lock(this=15368010) 
SearchBoxEx AfterDeserialize begin 
SearchBoxEx AfterDeserialize end 
Failed to look up string with key "DistributionLists_Alias", keyfile core. 
Localized resource for token 'DistributionLists_Alias' could not be found for file with path: "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\Template\xml\base.xml". 
Initializing PortalSiteMapProvider 
PortalSiteMapProvider initialized as Global, PerWeb, PerWeb, True, True 
PortalSiteMapProvider initialized as Combined, PerWeb, PerWeb, True, True 

I could not find help on the web for "SLK.en-US.resx". On the other hand it doesn't seem the SQL server has errors. Course Manager Database has ten tables and the two stored procedures. I see one security error log, but not sure if it is related:

The Windows Filtering Platform has blocked a bind to a local port.

Application Information:

Process ID: 3556

Application Name: \device\harddiskvolume1\windows\system32\cpqmgmt\cqmghost\cqmghost.exe

Network Information:

Source Address: 0.0.0.0

Source Port: 53063

Protocol: 17

Filter Information:

Filter Run-Time ID: 0

Layer Name: Resource Assignment

Layer Run-Time ID: 36

Thanks

Oct 25, 2009 at 6:41 PM

Ynabil,

I don’t see anything in the log you sent that is indicative of the message you’re getting…

I’ve been assuming your production setup is “similar” to your working dev setup… however could you confirm another thing… the userid you’re using to access the Plan and Assign page has SLK Instructor rights and is NOT an administrator… (There was a bug in the original release of the CM code that failed under this condition and I’m not sure whether it was fixed in the 1.4 release.)

Butch

Oct 26, 2009 at 3:02 AM

Yes, the logged in user is instructor.

Oct 26, 2009 at 3:24 PM

The user is an Instructor and NOT an administrator?

Oct 26, 2009 at 3:36 PM

The user I'm using is bot Administrator & Instructor, any problem with that?

Oct 26, 2009 at 3:40 PM

Yes – there was a bug in the 1.3 release where the role verification failed if the user was both an Instructor and an Administrator. (I’m trying to verify for you that the bug was or was not corrected in the 1.4 release).

If you can try an “non administrator” id that would help.

Oct 26, 2009 at 3:48 PM

I tried with a new user that's instructor only, but no luck.

Oct 26, 2009 at 4:19 PM

Version 1.4 does not include any fixes for Course Manager, this version has Course Manager integrated as is into SLK with some minor changes for integrating new SLK features.

Thanks,

Manal Mostafa

Senior Software Engineer

ITWorx Egypt

www.itworx.com

Oct 26, 2009 at 4:45 PM

Is it right that SLK 1.4 package is done for a standalone environment? What if I try CM 1.3, does it deploy on a farm?

Oct 26, 2009 at 4:54 PM

Unfortunately, this problem exists in all CM versions.

The below steps were the most successful way to deploy course manager on farm:

1. Install Course manager on single front end Moss server.

2. Join any other front end server to the farm.

3. Edit the registry keys manually in the new server.

Thanks,

Manal Mostafa

Senior Software Engineer

ITWorx Egypt

www.itworx.com

Oct 26, 2009 at 8:00 PM

I traced the backend SQL and once I click Plan and Assign, only one transaction is being called:

exec sp_executesql N'SELECT  ObjectType_ply,  LayoutXML_ply,  Name_ply,  GUID_ply  FROM UILayouts Where ( (ObjectType_ply = @Filter_ObjectType_ply) AND(Name_ply = @Filter_Name_ply) )

',N'@Filter_ObjectType_ply nvarchar(56),@Filter_Name_ply nvarchar(17)',@Filter_ObjectType_ply=N'Axelerate.SlkCourseManagerLogicalLayer.clsActivityGroups',@Filter_Name_ply=N'PlanAndAssignGrid'

when I run this, it returns on line with an XML text. It seems it does not go to the next step after that.

Oct 27, 2009 at 6:27 PM

Ynabil,

So it appears that you have proper SQL rights or the transaction would not be executed. Since it fails here I’m guessing that the UILayouts table in the Course Manager database did not get created correctly… e.g. GUID_ply is requesting the “LayoutXML_ply” that is stored in the UILayouts table…

What does the XML returned contain? It should be something like “<FORM><TOOLBAR Width= ….” Or “<FORM><COLLECTIONLAYOUT><BAND …” You should have 4 records in the Course Manager - UILayouts table – each starting with “<FORM>…”

Based on where the failure is occuring I’m guessing the UILayouts table wasn’t created properly and there are no records in it….

If the table is empty - the UILayouts need to be added…. You can do that with the following:

1. Open SQL Manager

2. Navigate to the UILayouts table within your Course Manager database

3. Open a new query

4. Find “CourseManagerDBSchema.sql” in the InstallerHelper/Installer/Solution/Files/Solution directory.

5. Find the line titled “/****** User Interface Layouts ***********/” (9 lines of text including the header… )

6. Paste those 9 lines into the QUERY window and execute…

7. You should then have 4 records in the UILayouts table….

Actually – if the ULayouts didn’t get created the Status and Role tables may not have either… In that case – use all of the SQL file from /****** User Interface Layouts ***********/ to the end of the script.

Butch

Oct 27, 2009 at 6:49 PM

Hi Harold,

UILayouts table has four records with LayoutXML_ply that starts with <Form> tag. I'm gussing it may be a configuration entry that needs to be in SLK database. I'm saying that because on my standalone environment I see transactions on SLK dtaabase after executing UILayouts query.

Thanks

Oct 27, 2009 at 8:34 PM

Ynabil,

You are correct – if the UILayouts records are retrieved properly then the SLK Database will then be queried for any SLK Assignments for the Class Site... and the Plan And Assign grid populated….

I’ve been assuming that you a) have the SLK installed and configured via Central Admin and b) have the SLK feature activated in the Class in question... and c) you started with a new SLK database or if you started with a 1.3 database then you imported the SLK Settings xml file…

There’s not much SLK “configuration” – 1) activate it in Central Admin (be sure to check “Create Permissions”… and 2) activate the SLK for the Class.

At this point it sounds like everything is configured properly… so “something” may have been corrupted during your install. (The old standby – when all else fails… However, I suspect that somewhere there’s an error message that would help decide a next step. This is one of the reasons why our company HunterStone has improved the Course Manager tools – we’ve added clearer and improved error messages as well as significant functional enhancements.)

So at this point I’m just guessing what might help…

1. In the Class – Deactivate the SLK and CM – then ReActivate them again… Any difference?

2. In Central Admin – Configure SLK – Reenter the DatabaseName and check “Create Roles”.. Click OK. Then In the Class – Deactivate the SLK and CM – then ReActivate them again… Any difference?