Captivate 4 and the SLK

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Sep 18, 2009 at 2:19 PM

Has anyone been successful in connecting Captivate 4 SCORM with the SLK?

We were using a previous version of Captivate and the SLK ... trying to upgrade both and running into some problems.

If anyone knows a "step-by-step" or post somewhere that would be great.

Thanks!

Sep 18, 2009 at 2:49 PM

I had no problem with Captivate 4 packages and the SLK. What exactly is the problem you are experiencing?

Best regards,

Jan
My Blog: http://www.mylearning.be

Sep 19, 2009 at 2:56 AM

It tosses 1 error but still works

Sep 19, 2009 at 3:32 AM

Thanks for the quick replies. 

We were on Captivate 2 and SLK 1.2 ... many customizations.  We have about 50 different tests ... some with up to 40 questions.  I won't bore anyone with the various errors trying to convert Captivate 2 to Captivate 4. 

We are thinking of just starting from Captivate 4 and SLK 1.4 IF it is seamless enough and we can avoid many of the customizations we had to do before because of limited functionality.

Starting from scratch ... can someone shoot me a link to a step-by-step for a connection from Captivate 4 quiz to the SLK 1.4????  You say you are successful.  If you can point me to a step-by-step it would be much appreciated.

Thanks again for all your help.

Sep 19, 2009 at 4:21 AM
  1. Create your quiz
  2. Quiz-> Quiz Prefs
  3. Check Enable Reporting
  4. Check Standard
  5. Change Manifest from 1.2 to 2004
  6. Click OK
  7. Click OK again
  8. Click Publish
  9. Give the project a title (Dont use & or any character not allowed in sharepoint)
  10. Check Export HTML and Zip Files
  11. Publish
  12. Upload zip
  13. Enjoy
Sep 19, 2009 at 4:24 AM

This is normal if you see this

Some errors in this learning resource were repaired, but the learning resource may not function as expected.
(hide details...) 
The value "" of element  is an invalid value. It has been replaced by the default value "(element has been removed)". Extra information: The value is not the expected type.
Sep 21, 2009 at 1:56 PM

Got it!

The change from 1.2 to 2004 was what I was missing.  I will ignore the error.

Thank you for your help!

Sep 23, 2009 at 11:12 PM

Can anyone please elaborate on the cause of the error message?

I would like to rule this out as one of the many kinks in our current deployment.

Additionally, I worry that this might cause confusion when it comes time to relinquish full control to the client.

Thanks!

Sep 27, 2009 at 9:41 AM

This error is generated by the  <imsss:minNormalizedMeasure /> element (within manifest/organizations/organization/item/sequencing/objectives/primaryObjective) that Captivate adds to the manifest.  My reading of the SCORM documentation is that either this element should be omitted or it should have a value between -1 and 1.  The warning is telling you that the empty element created by Captivate has been removed.  This means that the default value of 1.0 is applied.

On my system I have removed this empty element from the Captivate template so that I don't get the errorwhen I upload a package.

Sep 28, 2009 at 5:35 PM

Thanks for the great explanation, Paul!

Jun 8, 2010 at 7:53 PM

Thanks for your great instructions. Oddly enough, I do not have the HTML option available (it is there but desensitized so I cannot check it.) Any ideas? I do have a .flv embedded, but I don't think that should be giving me any trouble.

Oct 19, 2010 at 6:04 PM

Thanks everyone for the reply's...very helpful. This is my first post on CodePlex so apologies if I break rules. Ok here goes, while researching how to publish from Captivate4 to SLK 1.5, I found this on the Adobe blog http://blogs.adobe.com/captivate/2009/03/lms_reporting_enhancements_in.html and it seemed to have some good pointers. Eventually I was able to determine where exactly to edit the <imsss:minNormalizedMeasure> value. I'll blog a complete HowTo for Captivate 4/5 and SLK 1.5.x when I get a free moment...but for now I thought I would post the solution here since this thread seems to be most applicable to do so in.

As mentioned by PaulLinton, you can edit the "template". The templates can be found at "<Installed directory>\Adobe Captivate 4\Template\Publish\" in the file titled "manifest2004.xml" for SCORM 2004.
1. Open the manifest2004.xml file.
2. Find <imsss:minNormalizedMeasure><imsss:minNormalizedMeasure />
3. Insert a numeric value between 0 and 1, in decimal increments.
example: for a default Master Score of 80% enter 0.8
<imsss:minNormalizedMeasure>0.8</imsss:minNormalizedMeasure>

I personally set it to = 100% or 1.0 since you can change this in SLK when assigning the SCORM package.

TheZuneLune: The HTML option is "disabled/readonly" and selected by default when you have your project set to output a LMS package...meaning Captivate will automatically include the necessary html files...of which you can customize...and I might touch on that in a future blog or post.

Anyways hope this helps!

Stephen
My Blog http://www.observativetiger.com

Oct 19, 2010 at 6:30 PM

Stephen, thanks for the follow up. your directions were awesome and a real relief for the less-tech savvy users.