Drop Box in 1.4 - learner "error" viewing returned doc.

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Oct 15, 2009 at 2:05 AM

Any chance anyone has come across this issue before-and fixed it?  The problem is with the Drop Box functionality in version 1.4.  We have a load balanced front-end MOSS application using the MLG framework.  we have replaced the SLK version 1.3.1 with version 1.4 to include the drop box functionality for non e-learning documents (e.g. not SCORM, IMS etc).  Everything seems to work OK except when the learner wants to view their returned non-e-learning submitted files, the "My Assignments" web part shows "ERROR" and "An error occurred. More information may be available in the server application event log.".  When you check the server event log (the WFE server that was hosting the session), the error is:

SharePoint Learning Kit Error

System.Exception: No folder was found for this assignment.

at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.ApplicationPages.AlwpQueryResults.PerformFilesNumberChecking(LearnerAssignmentProperties learnerAssignmentProperties, AssignmentProperties assignmentProperties)

at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.ApplicationPages.AlwpQueryResults.CheckSubmittedFilesNumber(Guid assignmentGUID)

at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.ApplicationPages.AlwpQueryResults.RenderFileSubmissionCellAsSubmittedLink(String fileURL, Guid assignmentGUID, String renderedCellValue, HtmlTextWriter hw)

at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.ApplicationPages.AlwpQueryResults.RenderFileSubmissionCell(RenderedCell renderedCell, Guid assignmentGUID, HtmlTextWriter hw)

at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.ApplicationPages.AlwpQueryResults.RenderQueryResults(QueryDefinition queryDef, List`1 renderedRows, HtmlTextWriter hw)

at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.ApplicationPages.AlwpQueryResults.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)

What does happen:

When a non-SCORM document is added and assigned using SLK, the "SHAREPOINT\System" account creates the correct folder in the document library "DropBox Document" (in the site that the assignment is assigned-folder name is "<nameOfAssignment> <dateInUSAFormat>" e.g. "GettingStarted 15102009"), and gives permissions to the Instructor (read) and all the learners (limited access).  Subfolders are created in this folder using the names of each of the learners and these are assigned the permissions: the learner the folder is named after (read), the instructor "(read).  from the My Assignments" web part, the learner can open the assignment document and submit files (which go into the lerners folder, in the assignment folder, in the "DropBox Document" library on the site that the assignment is assigned).  Once submitted, the Instructor can mark and return the assignment and manage the assignment as per usual.  The learner however is shown that the assignment is returned in the "My Assignments" web part but when the learner tries to access the assignment, the errors are produced as described above.

The learner, and instructor have read access to the files they need, they can both manually navigate to the "DropBox Document" library and open the documents relevant to them both-and as the Instructor can perform all the functions that it needs to I think everything is OK except maybe a pointer or location isn't quite right in the SLK web part code code for the learner access to the document once returned.  I'm no developer unfortunately, there isn't much hope of me being able to debug this....

Oct 20, 2009 at 2:17 AM

Update:  I have found that this issue also happens when the Instructor attempts to "Download all files" for a non-managed e-learning assignment (i.e. not SCORM or IMS etc.).  I assume this action is supposed to download the entire assignment folder from the "DropoBox Document" library for the Instructor to make changes to the assignments then upload back.

I hope someone out there can help, this is a bit of a show-stopper for us.

Dec 21, 2009 at 7:22 AM

I find the same problem , In fact, the file and folder are also still there.

Jan 11, 2010 at 11:22 PM

I have just seen an e-mail from Richard Willis (the SLK project co-ordinator) to a colleague of mine, there's an updated 1.4 version nearly ready that addresses many issues in the code.  Not sure when this is going to be released (he still has a little more work to do on it)-but it is getting there.  Watch this space...

Coordinator
Jan 11, 2010 at 11:34 PM

You can download the updated 1.4 from http://slk.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=38555.

Please try with that.

Richard

SLK Co-ordinator

http://blog.salamandersoft.co.uk

Jan 11, 2010 at 11:36 PM
Edited Jan 11, 2010 at 11:37 PM

Cheers Richard. I’ll have a crack at it this week and let you know how we go.

You’ve been busy over Christmas….

Feb 2, 2010 at 12:17 AM

Hello Richard,

We are testing the latest 1.4 version of SLK and the Drop Box.  Everything we've tested so far seems to work fine except for a problem when a Learner attempts to view the status of the returned assignment in the ALWP.  The ALWP indicates that an error occurred and suggests looking in the event log for more detail.  Below is the error from the error log, hope this helps.

Mike.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SharePoint Learning Kit Error

System.ArgumentException: Value does not fall within the expected range.

at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPListCollection.GetListByName(String strListName, Boolean bThrowException)

at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPListCollection.get_Item(String strListName)

at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.ApplicationPages.AlwpQueryResults.PerformFilesNumberChecking(LearnerAssignmentProperties learnerAssignmentProperties, AssignmentProperties assignmentProperties)

at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.ApplicationPages.AlwpQueryResults.CheckSubmittedFilesNumber(Guid assignmentGUID)

at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.ApplicationPages.AlwpQueryResults.RenderFileSubmissionCellAsSubmittedLink(String fileURL, WebNameRenderedCell webNameRenderedCell, Guid assignmentGUID, String renderedCellValue, HtmlTextWriter hw)

at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.ApplicationPages.AlwpQueryResults.RenderFileSubmissionCell(RenderedCell renderedCell, WebNameRenderedCell webNameRenderedCell, Guid assignmentGUID, HtmlTextWriter hw)

at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.ApplicationPages.AlwpQueryResults.RenderQueryResults(QueryDefinition queryDef, List`1 renderedRows, HtmlTextWriter hw)

at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.ApplicationPages.AlwpQueryResults.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)

Coordinator
Feb 3, 2010 at 12:24 AM

Hi Mike,

Have you tried the version I uploaded yesterday? This should be fixed in that one.

Richard