Using Captivate 2 and Microsoft Learning Essentials

Topics: Developer Forum
Feb 15, 2007 at 9:40 PM
Has anyone successfully used Adobe Captivate 2 to publish quizzes to SLK? We are running Sharepoint 2007 with the latest (production) version of SLK 1.0, and can get everything to work except the score. Captivate content either reports nothing or a 0.0 for the score. We tell Captivate to report score as a percentage per SCORM compliance. I have toggled almost every setting in Captivate, and their site tells nothing about how to integrate into the SLK.

We have also tried Microsoft Learning Essentials, but it has almost no functionality in our environment (or support). Please let us know if you can help, thanks.
Feb 17, 2007 at 6:51 AM
The SCORM wrapper for Learning Essentials is primarily valuable for attaching IMS Metadata to Office documents. Since it renders the office document in a brower window, it offers little interactive functionality. With SLK, it's actually more functional to assign the office document directly with SLK (this is possible by clicking e-Learning actions from the office doc edit menu just the same way as with a SCORM object).

I haven't played with Captivate yet, so I'm afraid I'm not much help there yet...

--Mike
Feb 18, 2007 at 11:26 PM
Thanks Mike. I'm actually trying to post a quiz generated by Captivate 2. Using the program's wizard I created an interactive series of True/False questions based on a powerpoint presentation. Captivate publishes this in an SWF (Flash) file, which I then export as SCORM 2004 (ZIP) package. It's essential that I get SLK to roll up the scores for our Sharepoint users, and I can't get the score to transfer from Captivate to the SLK. I'll keep at it, thanks for your help.
Feb 19, 2007 at 5:07 AM
Edited Feb 19, 2007 at 5:27 AM
All,

OK, I solved the problem today. Go to Adobe's Developer center

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/captivate/articles/output_scorm.html

and download the file

captivatescormoutput.zip

It's a sample file, and when I zipped the package contents and uploaded it as a shared document into Sharepoint, I went through the learning content and found that it did in fact report a score to the SLK. Good start.

I then copied all the individual settings they used into my own project I had no problem (FINALLY!) I'm not sure what point of failure was, but that fixed the problem. I'll report back when I have time to isolate what the actual breaking point was, but just wanted to post my success thus far.
Feb 19, 2007 at 5:28 AM

Feb 26, 2007 at 9:21 AM
I get the impression that captivatescormoutput.zip is meant for Captivate 1, not for version 2. Im I wrong?
So far, everything I made with Captivate 2 or Camtasia Studio 4 was opened by the SLK as a ZIP-file, not an e-learning package. Obviously I do something in the wrong way. I can make SWF-files with these programs, load them in Exe-learning 0.21 in a menu and play them, but that is rather a detour.
Any suggestions?
Feb 26, 2007 at 5:13 PM
If SLK opens a package as a ZIP, it doesn't think it is a SCORM package. Double check that there is an imsmanifest.xml in the root of the package. I usually have this trouble when I zip up a folder rather than the contents of the folder. If there is an imsmanifest.xml, then I guess the next thing to check is to verify that the schemas match the requirements in the SCORM specs.
Feb 27, 2007 at 3:26 PM
Dolfgag, I believe you're right since the article I linked to was written in 2005, and it is meant to address Captivate 1. However, the project settings worked for Captivate 2 just fine.

I originally tried uploading the content as an SWF file but the only way I could get the score to report was using a ZIP file. You should see a navigation panel on the left and a "Save & Close" icon in the upper right when you are viewing the content. The content must be displayed this way to report the score back to the SLK, I believe this is part of the SCORM wrapper that Captivate puts on its content.

As Mark said, you also want the imsmanifest.xml file in the root of your ZIP file, and this should be current as of the last time you published from Captivate.

I'm not familiar with the Camtasia or Exe-learning programs, but I'm able to get the quizzes to work fine just using Captivate 2 and the latest SLK from January. Hope this helps.
Feb 27, 2007 at 4:48 PM
Ok, Captivate2 worked. How about Adobe Presenter? Has anyone attempted integrating this application with SLK?
In theory, it should work as Presenter can produce SCORM 1.2 and 2004 compatible output. However...that's just in theory
Mar 24, 2008 at 5:55 PM
So i know this is kinda late on my behalf. but i am working with the newer version, Captivate 3. and i am coming across working with SLK and Captivate 3 to create e-learning quizes that work with SLK. i would love if anyone can e-mail me with suggestions with how to create and package a sample quiz in Captivate and how it can be used with SLK. my email is chris.coogan@epgtech.net i really learned alot in the posts above but im afraid i need to learn more!
Mar 25, 2008 at 2:29 PM
epg_tech,

Please see my post from Feb 19, 2007, which has a link to Adobe's how to for this question. That forum should have something for Captivate 3 now, depending on how long Captivate 3 has been out.