Help:The answers are not stored

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Feb 16, 2007 at 11:02 AM
I make some sample quizes with Artiqulate Quizmaker 2.1 and WonderShare QuizCreator.
I upload and assign them as a teacher to students and then as a student I answer them.
When I go as teacher to see the answers the score is ok but when i open the quiz the answers are not stored.
It just opens to answer it again.
Could anyone suggest me something?
Thanks in advance.
Feb 17, 2007 at 6:45 AM
Edited Feb 17, 2007 at 6:47 AM
Pushing the student response values back into the original context is not a function of SharePoint Learning Kit. Rather, it’s a function of the SCORM object and whether is stores the student response as well as the score, and whether or not it pulls the student response back into the graded view. So it is incumbent upon the SCORM object (the one created by Articulate) to populate the student response field in that view.

Different assessment providers handle this differently, and I’ve heard from a couple of folks that Articulate does not display student entries, just the score. Smaller tool publishers (like LodeStar) will show student populated answers as well as a free online quiz creation tool coming soon from NuSoft Solutions (I don’t know precisely when, but check www.LearningGateway.net for updates).

Does anyone know if Articulate has this function or is planning on it?

--Mike
Feb 24, 2007 at 8:44 PM
I don't know if they're planning it (maybe someone from Articulate is lurking here, or could be persuaded to lurk here?)

I do know that they don't currently support the "review" mode specified by SCORM. I also know that if they want to do this, it's something they could implement, since they do store actual student responses in their data model, and SLK makes these responses available to them at review time.
Feb 25, 2007 at 4:17 PM
I've been beating this drum for quite a while now. I met with Hunterstones (Thesis), Adobe (Articulate) and some of the SLK team members at the BETT show and explained the exact same situation. Like the rest of the user community this ability is fundamental to the general teacher workflow and is not something we can do without. In my opinion any company who achieves this (and I believe it is not particularly difficult) could make a lot of money! (not that I'm trying to push things along) If LodeStar & NuSoft can do this then they will get my vote. The only thing holding up our implementation is finding a content builder that has this ability. Only then will I shut up!
May 17, 2007 at 2:18 PM
Does anybody know if there has been any update to this problem. I have Sharepoint 2007 and SLK nearly ready to deploy but
the last sticking point is that teachers want to be able to review the students assignments and the students would also like
to review their own assignments but to date with Captivate 2 and Articulate quizmaker 2 all the assignments work great
and are marked OK but when you click on the students assignment to grade there are no answers there. The weird thing
is that in the Solitaire demo it keeps the answers.
Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Regards
May 18, 2007 at 3:55 PM
I'm having same problem here. I've tried exeLearning, CourseLab, QuizMaker, etc. None seem to work in review mode. CourseLab worked the best. It allows the student to review their own material but a teacher could not (how's that possible?).

This is a BIG roadblock for us in deploying SharePoint with SLK for e-learning. We're still seeking the right authoring tool. Does ANY tool implement this in full?

I've noticed the same thing about the Solitaire demo. It works perfectly. Does anyone know what that was built in? Was it completely manual or was a tool used?

Thanks,
Mike
May 18, 2007 at 7:56 PM
Hi Mhourahine, fully agree. I demonstrated the SLK with the Solitaire demo to my Senior Leadership team and they were very impressed. Now I cannot find anything that
will do the same thing. We need something that saves the information at the end so that students and staff can review assignments. There is no point in having a quiz if
the person who sets the quiz or assignment cannot see what the student has got wrong once it has been submitted. Surely if it can be done with a basic quiz like
solitaire (Which I believe was created in Notepad) then it can be done in the other authoring tools. I am in the same situation as yourself, as we cannot deploy
the learning solution such as the SLK until this is resolved.

SOMEBODY HELP US!!!!!
May 23, 2007 at 6:45 PM
Some good news at last. Have been in contact with Thesis (Hunterstone) and received the following:

'We have verified through the SLK that we can implement the necessary commands in the THESIS test viewer to extract in review mode for both teacher and student the results of the test from the SLK'.

Am awaiting a response now as to when a Beta test will be put out. Watch this space!!!
May 23, 2007 at 8:54 PM
This is great news... I'll be keeping an eye on this post.
May 24, 2007 at 8:43 AM
Just received this from Thesis

We would be looking to complete this development in June for our July release.

We normally release an update the first Tuesday of each month to the auto update site for THESIS. This update includes maintenance updates, bug fixes, updates to the standard, and feature releases.

We are looking at this sort of update for the test module of THESIS as we see you as having value to the teachers and the VLE environment.

Look forward to this release.
Jun 1, 2007 at 1:48 PM
Hi!
mhourahine, thank you for your kind words about CourseLab! We also work on next release, in which some of SLK specific requirements will be met. And estimated release date is also July.

Vyacheslav Shchinov
CourseLab Development Team
WebSoft Ltd., Russian Federation
http://www.courselab.com
Mar 3, 2009 at 2:09 PM
Hi Mike, I've got the same problems working with SLK and CourseLab, but I see that at least you managed to make SCORM status to be visible by the student. How did you manage to do so?
I managed to assign the course and to let the FINAL score go back to SLK visible to the teacher, but when a student click save and close without submitting, as he resume the course the status is not saved and the Module start again from the beginning. Can you help me?

Thanks in advance.

Marco.
Apr 7, 2009 at 12:43 PM
Hi everybody .
I'm using Adobe presenter as an authoring tools to create SCORM content .
One solution I've found so that SLK the teacher can see the student's answers is to allow only one attempt to the quizz.
Oct 7, 2009 at 3:56 PM

Hi everybody!

Does anyone, using Articulate, managed to solve this issue with assignment reviews?

Best regards,

João Pinto

Oct 7, 2009 at 5:16 PM

All,

i have been trying different tools, but mainly the feature of saving the answers back and showing the student answers and the right answers is not SLK feature, it is about the SCORM content created.

AuthorExpert from ITWorx do all of this as it is primarly tested over SLK.

if you wanna try it send to me.

Regards

MT

Nov 18, 2009 at 9:31 PM

Hey All,

My name is Dave Mozealous and I am the QA Manager for Articulate.  Someone forwarded me the thread so I thought I would post just to clear some things up on the Articulate side.

Our content does report student_responses to the Sharepoint or to any SCORM based LMS.  We have a log from the SCORM 1.2 test suite that shows you how we communicate it:

http://www.articulate.com/support/quizmaker09/kb/?p=289

You will notice in the log certain entries like this:

LMSSetValue(cmi.interactions.9.student_response,8) has been invoked
    LMSSetValue() finished successfully

That is where we are sending the student_response to the LMS.

Now I don't have a whole lot of experience with the Sharepoint Learning Kit, but if someone has specific questions about our SCORM communication I would be more than happy to help.  But as an FYI, if you are not seeing the student_responses inside of Sharepoint it is unlikely that the cause is because we are not sending them.

If anyone has questions for me feel free to reply to this thread, or reach me via my blog (http://www.mozealous.com).  I'll be more than happy to help where I can.

May 10, 2013 at 6:36 PM
Hi Guys,

can you advice a free tool for creating SCORM compatible with SLK 1.7 with supporting answer review feature

D.
Coordinator
Jun 7, 2013 at 4:35 PM
Microsoft LCDS is free and works.

Richard
SLK Coordinator
http://blog.salamandersoft.co.uk
Jun 7, 2013 at 6:07 PM
Thank you Richard for your answer,
I tried it - LCDS 2.8
Created SCORM 1.2, but still doesn't work.
the results are not saved.
could be the reason is that I use sps foundation (services)?

thank you for helping