Installation problem

Topics: User Forum
Feb 16, 2007 at 3:03 PM
Hello,
I have a server with SQL 2005, WSS 3 installed correctly. But I have problems when setting up the SLK.
That server does not have installed the Active directory, even it is part of a domain where a third server is the domain controller. Bot computers have an administrator account.
The error is: CREATE DATABASE permission denied in database 'master'
When we specify the complete name of the database where all the other WSS contents are stored SERVER\microsoft##ssee then we get another error: DDL statement not allowed.
What can be failing here?
I'm starting to think that the WSS is not storing the data on SQL Server and it is just using it for search capabilities.
I?ll appreciate any comment or suggestion.
Feb 22, 2007 at 8:06 AM
I have problem with the installation too. I've followed instructions on Getting Started.DOC, but after add webpart to the site, the webpart showed error: This site is not configured to use SharePoint Learning Kit. Administrators can use SharePoint Central Administration to configure SharePoint Learning Kit.
Please help
Feb 24, 2007 at 8:36 PM
Shaobin: The most likely cause of your issue is that you have to configure SLK separately for each site collection you want to use it on. If you're putting the Web Part on a site collection that is not the site collection for which SLK was configured, you'd get this error.

JoseAntonio: In the default install, WSS uses its own database server that no other app can use (not sure what it's called now, but it used to be called WMSDE). It's possible that you either don't have SQL Server installed, or for some reason you're trying to configure SLK to use the WMSDE database server. Try specifying the database name as just SERVER where SERVER is the name of your database server, rather than SERVER\microsoft##ssee.
Feb 25, 2007 at 11:22 AM
Hello David, when I'm trying to do that I have the problem of "permission denied in database master". Do you know of some way of upgrading the WSS to work with the SQL?
SQL server 2005 was installed before the WSS.
Thanks for your support!
Feb 27, 2007 at 2:21 AM
Thanks David, I have rechecked, it is confirmed that I have configured SLK correctly for the site collection. Then I tried to install another solution to it, it have the same problem too, it seems there is error in the server. So I installed SLK to another server and it's work!
Thanks for your help
Feb 28, 2007 at 11:50 PM
JoseAntonio: My guess is the default SQL engine is the one used/installed by WSS (SERVER\microsoft##ssee), so you are probably getting the same error whether you use SERVER\microsoft##ssee or just SERVER. As David mentioned other applications cannot create databases in this instance, so you need to point SLK to a standard SQL 2005 engine. It is fine for WSS to continue storing its data in its own database/engine and SLK will use its own database on a standard SQL 2005 engine. (There are also ways for WSS to use full SQL 2005.)

I would start your SQL 2005 server manager and when it asks you to login to an engine (first dialog you will see), open the drop down to see what other engines are there (my guess is the default shown will be the SSEE). Once you find the name of a standard SQL 2005 engine, use that for configuring SLK. For example, SERVER\<proper engine name>.
Mar 1, 2007 at 6:30 AM
Hello Mark,
We made a test with other server and we setup WSS like a farm. In that case there is no problem. Now the problem is that the other WSS where the SLK should be needs to be upgraded and configured like a farm.
I cant find a way of doing it keeping the sites we already have intact. Any ideas?
Mar 1, 2007 at 8:18 AM
I haven't moved sites before, so I'm not sure. I did a quick web search and found a lot of WSS 3.0 installation information on TechNet, including this article which mentions that there is no direct upgrade from a stand-alone installation to a farm installation. Maybe there are ways to do this via backup and restore of your content DB? If you look around on TechNet there may be articles that can help.
Mar 1, 2007 at 3:16 PM
Hi,
I'm having the same problem as reported above by Shaobin, but I haven't got another server to try again! I've checked at each level in site features and enabled the Sharepoint Learning Kit, populated the gallery. Any ideas?
Cheers.
Mar 2, 2007 at 8:26 AM
AndyWade and shaobin:

I had the same problem. I solved it out by configuring properly the "Site Collection" entry in the "Configure SharePoint Learning Kit" sectioon, inside the Central Administration application.

Hope this might help.
Cheers
May 29, 2007 at 9:34 AM

cinnio wrote:
AndyWade and shaobin:

I had the same problem. I solved it out by configuring properly the "Site Collection" entry in the "Configure SharePoint Learning Kit" sectioon, inside the Central Administration application.

Hope this might help.
Cheers

Vouch! Same thing helped me.
May 30, 2007 at 3:10 PM
Edited May 31, 2007 at 10:16 AM

hh wrote:

cinnio wrote:
AndyWade and shaobin:

Hope this might help.
Cheers

Vouch! Same thing helped me.

Forgive me for being in the slow group, but that did not solve my problem. Any other ideas? I have 2 sites at the moment (MOSS 2007) and can't get ether to accept a web part.

Lou
Edit: Never mind, I have removed the SLK from the server, it did not seem worth the trouble. Thanks to all the folks who help out here, I do not mean this as a slam against your program. .
Sep 9, 2008 at 4:13 PM
I was getting the "This site is not configured to use SharePoint Learning Kit. Administrators can use SharePoint Central Administration to configure SharePoint Learning Kit." error also.  I changed the Site Collection entry in the Configure SharePoint Learning Kit...however...is it possible to allow multiple users use the SLK?  If I need multiple users to be able to log in and use this Learning Kit, how could I configure that?
Sep 11, 2008 at 9:32 AM
Ive encountered the same error before. I think your problem is on the databse server you placed in the "Configure SharePoint Learning Kit" page. You can check the database that should be placed on that field at "Central Administration -> Operation -> Default Database Server". Try using the database server in that page. I think it will work out fine.. Good luck Ü