Active Directory Groups

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Feb 20, 2007 at 12:45 PM
I have downloaded and installed the Release version of the SLK.

As a test I have done the following:

1. Created a new site.
2. Amended the Members Group to also be SLK Learners & SLK Instructors
3. Added Active Directory Groups (which represent teaching groups) to the Members Group
3. Uploaded the Solitare.zip in to Shared Documents
4. Started Elearning Actions
5. Selected the current site to assign the learning resources

On the next page I get the following error:
The list of instructors or learners may be incomplete because the following groups could not be read:
<domain>\<group>

When I looked at the event log on the server I found the following Entry:
SharePoint Learning Kit Error

Error creating one or more users in site collection "http://sharepoint": Microsoft.SharePoint.SPException: The user "<domain>\<login>" does not exist and could not be added. All users specified after "<domain>\<login>" were also not added. ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x81020054): The user "<domain>\<login>" does not exist and could not be added. All users specified after ""<domain>\<login>" were also not added.
at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequestInternalClass.UpdateMembers(String bstrUrl, Guid& pguidScopeId, Int32 lGroupID, Int32 lGroupOwnerId, Object& pvarArrayAdd, Object& pvarArrayAddIds, Object& pvarArrayLoginsRemove, Object& pvarArrayIdsRemove, Boolean bSendEmail)
at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequest.UpdateMembers(String bstrUrl, Guid& pguidScopeId, Int32 lGroupID, Int32 lGroupOwnerId, Object& pvarArrayAdd, Object& pvarArrayAddIds, Object& pvarArrayLoginsRemove, Object& pvarArrayIdsRemove, Boolean bSendEmail)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequest.UpdateMembers(String bstrUrl, Guid& pguidScopeId, Int32 lGroupID, Int32 lGroupOwnerId, Object& pvarArrayAdd, Object& pvarArrayAddIds, Object& pvarArrayLoginsRemove, Object& pvarArrayIdsRemove, Boolean bSendEmail)
at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPUserCollection.UpdateMembers(Object objUpdateInfo, Object objRemoveLogins, Object objRemoveIds, Boolean fSendEmail)
at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPUserCollection.AddCollection(SPUserInfo[] addUsersInfo)
at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.SlkStore.EnumerateDomainGroupMembers(SPWeb spWeb, SPUser domainGroup, Boolean isInstructor, Boolean isLearner, List`1 groupFailuresList, StringBuilder groupFailureDetailsBuilder, Dictionary`2 instructorsByUserKey, Dictionary`2 learnersByUserKey, Dictionary`2 users, List`1 learnerKeys, List`1 learnerGroups, DateTime startTime)

Is there something I have failed to setup correctly or do Active Directory Groups not work with this release?
Feb 20, 2007 at 2:47 PM

Are you able to add the '<domain>\<login>' (reported in the error) to SharePoint as a user?
Feb 20, 2007 at 3:38 PM
I am, and it does work for individual students. But I would prefer using AD Groups (if possible) as all of the students have already been organised and do not want to duplicate work.
Feb 26, 2007 at 9:24 AM
I am having the same problem.
Mar 5, 2007 at 3:18 PM
Has anyone managed to get Active Directory Security Groups to work? If so can you please point me in the right direction.
Mar 15, 2007 at 2:39 PM
Edited Mar 15, 2007 at 2:40 PM
I too am having the same problem.

Surely Microsoft don't expect SLK users to maintain seperate users and groups within Sharepoint.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Mar 15, 2007 at 2:51 PM
This discussion has been copied to Work Item 8921. You may wish to continue further discussion there.