Limiting Attempts of Learning Content

Topics: User Forum
Feb 22, 2007 at 5:12 PM
I want to post an assessment to my site and restrict the number of attempts (self-assigned) possible to 2 max. Is there a straightforward way to do this through the SLK? I assume that this would be done within the content package, but I'm wondering what exactly and how this interacts with the SLK database to determine number of previous attempts, etc.

Nick
Feb 26, 2007 at 4:36 PM
This would be pretty easy to do through SCORM attempt limits if the content is instructor assigned and the learner doesn't have access to the content. I don't think there is an easy way to limit the number of times the learner can assign it to themselves. The "assignment" concept is a SLK concept and we don't have a way to limit the number of times content is assigned. However, once it is assigned, then the SCORM attempt limit can limit the number of times the learner can attempt the organization or activities within a single assignment.

Feb 26, 2007 at 5:57 PM
Yep, sounds like something we will need to build into our content and accomodate using our custom workflow.

We have a custom workflow built on the SLK API that allows a user to take any piece of content as many times as they like (self-assign). If they try to take something they already have in-progress, they will resume that content. If they try to take something that they have already taken before, a new assignment instance will be created.

If someone wanted to limit the number of times a user could take an assessment, we could set the system to only allow a user to take a particular assessment once, and within that assessment, set the learner attempts to whatever is required.