My Assignments Across Sites

Nov 24, 2009 at 3:33 PM

I'm trying to create a hierarchy of sites for my students to log in to. I want to have a parent site and from this parent site the students will be able to navigate to child sites for certain courses. I want the My Assignments web part on the parent site to show all assignments on the child sites. However, it doesn't appear to be working that way. I was under the impression that was how the web part worked. Is there any way to get a setup like that or does the assignments web part only show assignments for the current site?

Coordinator
Nov 24, 2009 at 4:29 PM

There's a property on the web part to set whether to show assignments across all sites or just for the current site.

There isn't an option for this site and it's sub sites. The performance to work that out wouldn't be very good unless the number of sites is small.

Richard

SLK Co-ordinator

http://blog.salamandersoft.co.uk

Nov 24, 2009 at 4:59 PM

That should do the trick. Thanks for the quick response.

Also, I was reading the "Possible Organisations" on your page (http://www.salamandersoft.co.uk/classSites.html). Could you explain how possibility 3 works, in terms of permissions? I don't understand how you can set a site to be hidden but still assign resources from it. In order to hide the site wouldn't you need to deny permission to the learner?

Coordinator
Nov 24, 2009 at 10:14 PM

Hidden only in the fact that it's not displayed in the navigation bars. Then they can only navigate to it through knowing the url. If you go down that route it would be a blank site so there's nothing for them to do/see if they get there anyway.

Nov 25, 2009 at 2:49 PM

I created the child sites with permissions inheriting from the parent. Later I went into the site permission of the children and removed read access from the students group. This hid the child site link in the navigation panel on the left. If the student attempted to open the URL of the child site without read access they would receive an access denied message. Instructors could still assign work to the students. The student could also take the assignments and submit them. I left the read access attribute on any site that required collaboration. 

Do you see any issues with a setup like this?