SCORM authoring in Flash 8

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Feb 26, 2007 at 6:10 PM
Has anyone tried publishing SCORM content in Flash 8?

It appears to have this functionality built-in to the latest release. There are a few templates available for quizzes and output options for SCORM 1.2 and 2004 tracking.

Looks like Flash produces an HTML file and a SWF file. The instructions say to publish these two files to your LMS and to launch the HTML file in your "SCORM tracking frameset".

I tried playing one of these HTML files through the SLK and the Flash never loads. I get a JavaScript error as well. Anyone seen this of know what's going on?
Feb 26, 2007 at 7:02 PM
I have authored a significant amount of SCORM content in Flash 8, but I have not played with the templates. If the Flash content is not showing up, I would guess that it cannot be found by the html page that loads it, ie it's not in the right directory or it is named incorrectly. What js error are you getting?
Feb 26, 2007 at 7:36 PM
Edited Feb 26, 2007 at 7:37 PM
Well, the thing is if you launch the HTML file from SharePoint directly, it loads and the Flash loads and everything is peachy. So, the references are right...

It's when the HTML page is loaded in the SCORM tracking frameset with the SLK that the movie dosen't load and the error is generated...

The error is:

Line: 713
Char: 1
Error: 'g_intPollSecs' is undefined
Feb 26, 2007 at 8:02 PM
The "g" indicates it's an Adobe global variable in the template file. I'd have to see the template, and I'm on a machine that doesn't have Flash 8 installed right now. Have you tried to run it in the ADL's Sample Run Time Environment? It's a valuable tool for testing SCORM content and isolating issues to either the LMS or your content. I'm guessing that gintPollSecs is probably set in a js handler that isn't being called by the SLK, or the handler isn't receiving the attributes it expects when it is called. I would start in the onInitialize handler (or whatever the template is designating as the Initialize() callback handler and sleuth out where that value should be coming from. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
Feb 26, 2007 at 10:23 PM
Thanks Mike, I am going to run the ADL's Sample RTE on it now and see what I can determine from that.
Mar 7, 2007 at 9:41 AM
Some of my friends have used the templates to build flash quizzes by flash 8, but none of them use the quizzes for LMS. It requires programming skills, which kills me a lot. I know some e-learning authoring tools to create SCORM conformable content, they are easy-to-use and powerful. Such as, Articulate QuizMaker, Wondershare QuizCreator.
you can download them from:
http://www.articulate.com
http://www.sameshow.com/index.php?sid=6
Apr 19, 2007 at 1:02 PM
Edited Apr 19, 2007 at 1:22 PM
I too am experimenting with SCORM courses created using Flash8. I've packaged the HTML and SWF file together using RELOAD editor. The course plays within SLK, but does not transfer the score after clicking SLK's Submit Assignment link. The (Resume/Review) Assignment page displays a status of Final but score is still blank. I'm not sure why SLK would get some information but not all.

Thanks!
Tom
Apr 19, 2007 at 1:22 PM
Does SLK support the SCORM Run-Time Environment Data Model? I see that there are tables called InteractionItem, so I suspect there is the potential of transferring data between SLK and the SCO in two-way fashion (moreso during lessons so that the experience is more customized to the learner).

If anybody has had any success with using Flash 8 (with or without the eLearning templates), SLK, and RTE, can you suggest resources or tips that might be helpful to somebody new to Flash 8? I am more instructional designer than program developer.

Thanks!
Tom