Captivate Content Doesn't Automatically Display

Topics: Developer Forum
Mar 8, 2007 at 9:34 PM
This is not a huge problem, but when a student selects "Begin Assignment" and the new window pops up they have to click on the assignment name again in the tree to open the assignment. This behavior does not occur with the solitaire example. Before they click the assignment name, the main frame says "Select An activity to continue with the assignment." As an easy fix, is there an easy way to edit this text to instruct them to click on the assignment name?

This came as a specific request from our customer to streamline the process, just curious, thanks.
Mar 9, 2007 at 2:36 AM
First, I agree this isn't great text. I'm not sure of an easy way to edit the string that doesn't require recompiling. You may be able to do it via the localization tools, but I would recommend opening an issue in the issue tracker about the whole experience and then fixing the content so this doesn't happen (see below). I believe the string is used in a few different code paths, so it might be worth investigating special casing this initial experience.

Here is what is happening:

SCORM 2004 has a concept of 'flowing' into an activity. By default (not sure why exactly) flow is false, meaning that an LMS is not supposed to automatically start (flow) with the first activity, but instead is required to have the user select an activity to begin. To solve the problem of the training not starting with an activity, the content needs to set the following for the organization in the imsmanifest.xml (see the Solitaire imsmanifest as an example):

<imsss:sequencing>
<imsss:controlMode flow = "true"/>
</imsss:sequencing>

In our initial designs, we thought this was not very usable and wanted to automatically deliver the first activity regardless of this setting, but that ended up violating the SCORM 2004 specification, so we had to take it out. Going forward we may want to consider adding a SLK setting to enable automatic delivery of the first activity. If that sounds worthwhile, then I would put a feature request in the issue tracker. For SCORM conformance that setting would have to be off by default, but it would be available for the customer to turn on.

Getting back to your current issue, I recommend modifying the content to include the <imsss:controlMode flow="true"> sequencing rule in the organization that you are assigning. I personally think good content and content tools should do this automatically for all content.
Mar 9, 2007 at 3:07 PM
Thanks Mark! That worked. I will post it as an issue though at least with Captivate, I'm just glad it was something I was able to edit in the manifest vs. recompiling. I appreciate the help.
May 29, 2007 at 7:14 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the info. However, I tried and couldn't manage to auto-start the e-learning content that i developed with captivate 2.
The behaviour didn't change, still activity needs to be selected to start the assignment. What could else be wrong? Maybe I inserted the above sequencing element in an incorrect way.

Could you please provide a few lines snippet from a sample imsmanifest.xml?
Thanks,

zieglers
May 29, 2007 at 7:39 PM
Oh, OK, I figured that out at last. Now it works for me as well... :)
Here is the snippet as an answer to my own question. :P

<!-- Sequencing for the organization to allow choice and flow. -->
<imsss:sequencing>
<imsss:controlMode choice="true" flow="true"></imsss:controlMode>
</imsss:sequencing>
</organization>
</organizations>

My mistake was to put it in title element not out of it. Also, I included 'choice="true" ' attribute.

zieglers
Jul 12, 2007 at 8:59 PM
Does anyone have a sample captivate assignment?