Captivate/PowerPoint in SLK

Topics: Developer Forum
Jan 23, 2010 at 12:12 AM

We are importing PowerPoint slides and adding questions in Captivate, but experiencing the following issues:

1. Increased load time ("Initializing LMS...") with each assignment started, up to 1 minute for a 30 slide module.
2. Erratic behavior related to moving forward/backward within a module, affecting the timing of slides and audio, often causing a single slide to become superimposed on all subsequent slides.

Has anyone else encountered these behaviors, and if so, can you please shed some light on to work around them?

Thanks,
Steve

Jan 26, 2010 at 7:20 PM

Steve,

One possibility is to update your version of Captivate. I think we had tried using Captivate to process powerpoint slides and got frustrated, but a subsequent build fixed a lot of problems.

FWIW,

Tom

Jan 26, 2010 at 11:43 PM

Thanks, Tom, I'll give that a try. For now I've moved to creating templates to build future modules directly inside of Captivate, and hope to test the differences in the next day or two.

Jan 28, 2010 at 10:42 PM

The Captivate update fixed some sound issues we were having, but the load times are still unacceptably long. I rebuilt one module entirely in Captivate, imported the audio (low quality), and the load time is better, at 33 seconds. Surely there must be someone who has encountered this?

Steve

Coordinator
Feb 2, 2010 at 1:21 AM

What size is the finished package?

Richard

SLK Co-ordinator

http://blog.salamandersoft.co.uk

Feb 2, 2010 at 1:24 AM

The package is just under 7MB, which why I am surprised by the load time.

Steve

Coordinator
Feb 3, 2010 at 12:30 AM

Have you tried tracing the web requests with Fiddler to see what is causing the delays? Have you tried the package with other SCORM players to see the time with them?

Feb 5, 2010 at 12:52 AM
Edited Feb 8, 2010 at 8:07 PM

I loaded the package into an online SCORM engine and  experienced the same load time. I guess I'm stuck with whittling down all of the included resources as much as possible to bring down the overall size. Also I'm still using the version from the patches until I can test out the new release on my VM.